SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicemac

Amana PTAC Issue - Have to keep resetting in cold weather

nicemac
6 years ago

I have an Amana PTAC (MODEL PTH153B50AM), installed in 2008. I use it in my workshop to control just under 600 sq.ft. It cools fine in the summer, and it usually heats fine in the winter. When not in use, I set the temperature to 58F (As low as I can set the unit with no external thermostat attached). As long as the outside temp stays above approximately 30F, I have no issues. When the temp drops much below 30F, I find that it stops heating. I have to manually reset the unit, and it heats fine again–until the mercury drops again.

I have learned that if I increase the temperature setting to say, 68F, I do not have this issue. My assumption is that it keeps the room (and subsequently some part of the unit itself) warm enough that it does not stop working, most likely due to a thermal issue of some kind with a component.

I have found several references to this on various forums, but most are old and just have some blind recommendation to wholesale replace control boards, etc… with no real feedback from those with the issue as to what actually fixes the problem. I can keep running it at 68F, as our winters here in TN are fairly mild and relatively short, but that is still a couple of months of heating cost increase would rather avoid.

Feedback from someone who knows specifics about this issue or has actually fixed one appreciated!

Kevin

Comments (16)