SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Amana, or Trane, or something else? Too hot to think!

kksmama
16 years ago

I'm torn between two quotes, please help! I could have had either one installed tomorrow for around the same price but have opted to spend all weekend in 90 degree heat so I can make a careful decision and consider other options as well (Sears comes tomorrow).

Quote 1: XL19i from Trane, using old R22, 5 tons at energy rating of 15.9. Ten years parts and labor, 7800 (Clean effects adds 900 to cost). Or XL16i, using new 410 coolant, energy rating of 14.65 for 7660. No interest financing included.

Quote 2: ASZ18 from Amana, using new coolant, 5 tons and I'm told energy rating of 17.3 or 17.4 (not in writing, I'd like to verify). No special filtration or financing discussed, 10 year parts, lifetime compressor, 7600, 10 year labor contract adds 200.

Both companies well regarded, both salesmen polite and professional.

I'm inclined to choose the new coolant systems, though the XL19 seems like a great deal. We'll be in the house for a long time, so the energy savings is important (bill was 365 last month). We don't keep it very cool, use ceiling fans, etc. Feel absolutely terrible about all the freon the old unit has vented, twice in last 3 months.

I'm grateful for any guidance, big issues for me are the efficiency (is Amana really 17.3 at 5 tons?), reliability, and noise level.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus