SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwjen

HVAC Thermostat 24v wire keeps tripping

GWJen
10 years ago

Hi! I am a long time lurker but just now making my first post. We are having some HVAC issues on a house we just bought a year ago. The house is 1700 square foot two story and was built in 1977. The unit is a 1988 Carrier. The thing is, it was a tested model that the old owner got from her father who worked at the factory, so although it is a 1988 model it has only been running about 10 years.

The last few days we have had the coldest weather I have ever experienced in Alabama. We have a Nest thermostat we keep at 73 in the day and 68 at night. Two days ago we came home with an error message on the Nest that the Rh wire was not getting power. This is the 24v line. So we got under the crawl space and tripped the HVAC breaker. This fixed the problem. Then it happened again yesterday, and once again we tripped the breaker and it is working.

We figured the unit is just overworking itself and tripping to breaker so we set the thermostat to just heat a few degrees until we were able to get the house up to 71, and we have just left it there and not had an issue since.

My question is - what could be causing this? What repairs can I expect down the road? Is this a fire hazard? My husband and I are young first time home owners and are just now learning about these things and how to maintain a home. Any pointers or input from your experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)