SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moochie589

Anyone interested in trading some rose bands or cuttings come spring?

Michael H 6b NY
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone, hope your new year is going well and like everyone else I can't wait for spring to come! I just wanted to start a little thread to see if anyone out there was interested in exchanging some plants or cuttings with me come springtime. I know it's a few months off for me in zone 6b NY, but I wanted to start opening up some communication with anyone interested. I'll be taking my last semester of nursing courses in the spring and think i'll finally have time to actually do this idea I've had for a while. I'm also so tired of this cold! I have lots of OGR's and favorites like Nahema/ older Austins etc. that I know pop up on the forums often. I also have lots of rare and unusual roses that I would love to spread around with you all.. I know I have very similar tastes to most of you and think this would be a great way to save lots of money and have fun doing it! I know I have a nice gallon size plant of Barbara's Pasture Rose that isn't working out for me and a small band of Pope John Paul II I rooted myself last spring! (The first rose I was ever able to root actually).. Anyway, I can provide a much more concrete list if there is anyone who would like to partake in this with me so long as I can ship to your state and there are no issues with patents or anything like that. I'm very interested in Hybrid Perpetuals and older Austins to grow my small collection. I'm dying to get my hands on 'The Prince' from DA and Belle story as well.. they're unavailable everywhere in the US.. I'd love to hear from all of you :)

Comments (54)

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

Michael also I checked to be sure but Linda at longagoroses carries The Prince. I thought she might have, I knew she carried some older Austin's. I am not sure weather she would have it in-stock but I highly recommend her! Also if you are interested we can do trades later as well as roses get more mature. I am giving yolande one more year and I really hope she does better. I may need to move her to a different spot..If she doesn't do better by next year I may just trade her for something different. I really hope she starts doing better, beautiful blooms and lovely fragrance!

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    6 years ago

Michael....I have a 10 year old Belle Story that I would be happy to send you cuttings from. I moved it from a partially shaded spot to full sun last autumn, so I imagine it should come roaring to life this spring.

I'm a newbie when it comes to propagating roses, but I'm sure I can handle sending cuttings if you're interested in that.

Michael H 6b NY thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • Related Discussions

WANTED: Rose plants/cuttings trade in North Alabama

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Kathy, I live in NE AL, I've got lots of roses, would love to see about trading some cuttings with you, maybe this spring or as soon as things warm up. Send me an email if you're still interested, I'll send you a list of my roses. Thanks, Nicole
    ...See More

Wondering if anyone would like to trade cuttings?

Q

Comments (16)
    Coke nut, Nice list!!! : ) ALoha is a beauty!! I was gifted this one this year from a nice gal from the northeast!! : ) I would be interested in trading this spring. Our season here is winding down in VA. You can email me and we can discuss what you are looking for. Hi M!! I still get confused when i see both plumygirl and "plumie girl" LOL... one is fromm CA and the other has nice cuttings and trees to help you with (Fla) : ) Mona.. you can email her and she can give you more info.. Take care, Laura
    ...See More

anyone interested in a cutting/plant trade come spring?

Q

Comments (32)
    I love to see these trades going on. I know that we are technically supposed to post on the plant trade forum but that one has too much to wade through when you are only looking for succs or cacti. For the record. I am sharing largely because I need to get my collection to a more manageable size. In the warmer months everything is outside and can take over the balcony and that is just fine. But I learned this winter that I had too many to keep happy and healthy through the cold months when they need to come inside and go under lights. I have 3 people who I am sending plants to this weekend. I am very glad that they will be going to homes where they will be cared for. :-) Especially after my sister-in-law turned a jade that was nearly 2 foot tall into a pile of mush! I am pretty sure she left it outside when it got too cold and it froze.
    ...See More

Anyone interested in trading orchid cuttings for adenium seedlings?

Q

Comments (11)
    that is a semi-terete vanda JVB (josephine van brero) hybrid, they are mostly in the coral color range, can be acclimated to full sun in subtropcal areas. I grew several in south florida and they did great in my pool deck... why not go and talk with the neighbor and compliment her on the beautiful plant and inquire where she may have sourced it from and also how she cares for it and does she any extra cuttings of it that may be available for sale or trade? These plants are fast growers and heavy and frequent bloomers, can be fed heavily twice a week. They can also reach specimen size fairly quickly and reach the ZEN orchid status of always blooming.... A quick google image search will offer plenty to look at and search https://www.google.com/search?q=vanda+jvb&rlz=1C2CHNG_enUS360&biw=1422&bih=792&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_-8rni5nQAhWX8oMKHfzVCXgQ_AUIBigB&dpr=0.9
    ...See More
  • Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

I'm always interested in trades... although I have no cutting rooted atm, and I've never shipped. I always have some suckers from my Mustialanruusu/Minette to share, and I can take cuttings from my more established plants. I may try the burrito method on some of mine in a month or so.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

Have fun folks - some of the ways of keeping old rose varieties alive is sharing between gardeners like this. Just remember two cautions as you explore lists:

1) Make sure the roses you are sharing are out of patent. The rose growing business is already hanging by a thread in many cases and we want to support the businesses selling these roses while we can. The breeders also deserve their royalties for these roses while on patent (some of whom log in here) as a small courtesy and return for the years in developing a rose.

2) Make sure you can sent horticultural material to and from the states in question. I know California has a ton of restrictions and other states might as well. There are good reasons for that dealing with disease and bugs, and none of us want to be an inadvertent Typhoid Mary of sharing Japanese Beetles, diseases like RRD or new strains of BS.

In my case, I'm still vowing to learn to grow rose plants from cuttings of my own bushes this spring before I risk taking (and in my case, probably killing) cuttings from someone else. Linda Loe assures me it's pretty straightforward for her, but if anything can be killed in a pot I can probably do so with ease. Speaking of Linda, she does sell The Prince at Long Ago roses (I got mine from her a year or two ago).

Cynthia

Michael H 6b NY thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

cynthia, I don't think growers from Ca. can receive any rose cuttings unless it's from within the state. I know what restriction my state has for plant material, but that's a good reminder. I try to buy all I can afford from the online and local vendors, but with a large yard, limited funds and a love of propagating it's another way to keep these plants vital. I am terrible at rooting, despite all my efforts and study, but I'm persistent and the successes spur the next trial. I think you might enjoy it.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    6 years ago

How so you root a rose from a cutting ? Just need a simplest form not complicated. I just received 1 hour ago) my package from ARE and a branch is broken.

Jin

• Michael H 6b NY
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, so I just checked and I will have a good amount of spring cuttings for Nahema (the climber), and Deuil de Dr Reynaud (climber). Very limited cuttings for Baronne Edmond DE Rothschild (the older hybrid Tea), Comice de tarn-et garrone (bourbon) and St. Cecelia. I am def. going to try and root some of these as well! I also have a gallon of Barbara's pasture rose that put on great new growth last year and a stick of Pope John Paul II that is REALLY tiny but def. rooted.. I will message you guys on Houzz that are interested so far and we will figure this out! Those are all of my out of patent plants that will be ready by April but I will have many more varieties closer to summer after they all start growing!

• Michael H 6b NY
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you very much Niptress for the reminders! I have tried to be very aware of those factors and couldn't agree more. I love Linda's roses and asked her before about Prince, but none were available.. just shot her another email. Rosylady, that would be amazing and so generous of you!! I've been after this rose for years. I will shoot you a message on here. Karen, i've never shipped either, excited to try. Can you send me a message of what established plants you're growing and can take cuttings from?

• Michael H 6b NY
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rosylady, can you shoot me a message on here? I tried but couldn't contact you.

6 years ago

Thanks Karen so much.

Jin

• Michael H 6b NY
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Andrea, it's so beautiful!! These pictures are much needed because spring can't come fast enough.. I replied to your message! I'm so excited!!!

6 years ago

Rosy, gorgeous roses. Micheal, you are right, spring can't come fast enough....lol

Jin

• Ladyreneer
    6 years ago

Belle Story is a beautiful rose for sure.

I would also like to trade rooted roses & cuttings. This will be my first attempt at exchanging roses.

I like the pink, yellow and red old garden roses.

I also have some beautiful Austin roses!

Michael H 6b NY thanked Ladyreneer
  • Michael H 6b NY
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hey ladyreneer, shoot me a message on houzz.. we'll talk! Super excited as this will by my first attempt too :)

• Ladyreneer
    6 years ago

I definitely will Michael. I would like to join in on the trades also, please. I have done quite a few seed trades recently and I'm hooked!

I'd also like to move on to rose/plant trades. I will have some to share as soon as things start warming up & sprouting again this year.

I haven't rooted roses yet but I'm wanting to try the burrito method outlined above.

I do have lavenders & many other flowers filling in the areas around my roses. It makes my roses pop! I would guess about 150-200 types of flower seeds & plants. Anyone interested in trading?

• Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

I would be! I have some plants I can share, if you're interested. My garden is still pretty young, but when things warm up, I know I will have some extras amongst my perrenials. (stachys, bearded iris, hosta, raspberries, maybe some other miscellany, and hopefully some rose starts.)

• palustris68
    6 years ago

"I will have a good amount of spring cuttings"

It is just my personal experience, but I find that roses are difficult to root in the Spring. I find that the best time to take cuttings is just after flowering and the best cuttings are those from a branch that has just finished flowering. YMMV.

I might have some rare Walsh ramblers available potted in the Spring and cuttings about July 4th.

• Ladyreneer
    6 years ago

Karen & others,

That sounds great! I do have roses & raspberries on my want list.

I will have lots of seeds and/or plants to exchange, too.

What types of roses & berries? Hostas would be great also!

Some plants will be ready by spring & some by late spring/summer. If you're interested in an exchange just shoot me a text! TIA

• llailiall
    6 years ago

This looks very exciting! Although I'm with Palu on this one, I'll have most of my rooted cuttings available after June I think. Looking forward to the bloom and the one time I attempted cuttings in early spring it was a crap shoot. I have much better luck after the stem has developed a flower and is turgid.

will look into which of mine have patents out :)

Michael H 6b NY thanked llailiall
  • Michael H 6b NY
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed response but my plants just started to leaf out. I'm in my last 6 weeks of nursing school (ob and maternity) after my first 6 weeks of pediatrics. I also had quite a few deaths over winter of some roses which is really upsetting. Its been so kate to warm up.. Anyway, I didn't forgot about anyone and am still super excited. If there are any new people wanting to join please comment! Look out for my comments soon!!

• FruitCat (GA 7b)
    6 years ago

This reminds me... I went to a grafting workshop recently and one of the wise men had a great tip. He said that he uses parafilm (the stretchy wax stuff that's used in labs to cover petri dishes but it's also sold in smaller rolls by amazon as "grafting tape") to keep cuttings from dehydrating. You basically wrap up your cutting like a little mummy (one overlapping layer is plenty), leaving the part that will go underground exposed. On that part, you use your knife to peel off some bits of the stem, which you dip in rooting powder. Then you stick the cutting in the ground/pot and keep it in a shaded area. They do the same "mummifying" with the fruit tree scions being grafted. As leaves emerge from the nodes, they stretch the parafilm and finally burst through, undamaged. Eventually the parafilm will drop off.

Soon thereafter I snapped a fairly skinny branch off a rose that doesn't have any branches to spare. I did 3 cuttings. One I planted by mama plant, the other two went along a north-facing wall. All have leaves now. I will add that it's spring here so it may be the perfect time for this (mild/cool, humid) and perhaps they all would have survived without the parafilm treatment. I will try this in the future anytime I'm trying to root cuttings of anything, in particular in warmer/drier weather.

Here's two of the little mummies, these stems were under 1/8" diameter. They both still look nice and green all the way to the top so I expect additional nodes to burst out some growth as the root system allows. I checked my notes and looks like I did this about a month ago.

Ladyreneer-I know you said "want to trade" but for berries, check out https://www.noursefarms.com/ The quality of their plants is beyond excellent and the prices are good too.

• gagalzone8
    6 years ago

Sign me up! I have many rooted babies now! Message me if you are interested!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

Excellent info, fruitcat. I need to get better at rooting so I have something to exchange other than cuttings.

• gagalzone8
    6 years ago

Jin, I mastered rooting! I take pine bark fines (sold as soil conditioner at Home Depot or Walmart ) pour it into some pots, stick cuttings in, water firm up around each cutting after watering, then place them in dappled light! Mine line my chain link fence. Works great! The bark drains really fast and is loose so roots get air and can go!

• gagalzone8
    6 years ago

They sat out there thru a hurricane and tornadoes! Lol. Just don’t overwater because the bark may be dry on top. I have lost leaves, but the leaf back out. It also goes much faster when the temps warm up!
    the big tall ones are bands I purchased. The rest I rooted.

• Ladyreneer
    5 years ago

Your new rose plants are looking great. Now for me to turn myself into a "rose rooter" as well this summer. I'm zone 7 and I see a few tiny buds growing already. My Gertrude Jekyll is looking wonderful & promising this year! She will definitely have cuttings to spare.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I wish I could join in, but living in CA , I’m afraid it impossible unless I trade within CA:( Lisa

5 years ago

Gagal and Fruitcat, I have to try both your methods Bec all my 18 cuttings died. Maybe they were not thick as pencil maybe...who knows :(

Gagal, it is really hot here. I am going to try your style first but I have to wait a little longer since I don't have any cuttings as all my roses are small. I will try that next spring . How often do you water ?

Thanks both you guys for information. Gagalzone, thank you. I bookmark them.

Jin

• gagalzone8
    5 years ago

Jin, I use hardwood cuttings. I hav taken cuttings of tiny twigs that worked, but they were hard. I just put them in the bark, water, place in dappled light and leave them alone. I may hit them with the hose about every 3 or 4 days.

• FruitCat (GA 7b)
    5 years ago

gagal, I'm gonna try some of those pine fines. I'd never heard of those and it sounds like just the thing.

In the interest of disclosure, today I saw one of the 2 little rose sticks in the picture up and died, the leaves wilted and the stick is now brown. The other one (and the one by the mother plant) are still looking good.

• Ladyreneer
    5 years ago

Ok, thanks ladies. I have decided to try both ways as well. I'm in the SE humidity and heat so maybe one of these examples will work.

Also, I'm wanting to try the burrito method. I have about 10 different rose bushes to try! Wish me luck.

• gibsongirl74_gw (zone 6 CT)
    5 years ago

Hi Michael, my roses are babies so I don't have any cuttings to share. Just curious how your comice de tarn did this winter? Mine was total die back to the ground!

• Ladyreneer
    5 years ago

Fruitcat, I ended up buying 100 strawberry plants, 7 boysenberry, 6 Heritage Raspberry, 3 Royalty Purple Raspberry, 3 Joan Primocane Raspberry, 3 assorted blueberry bushes!

Thank you - I think. Lol!

• FruitCat (GA 7b)
    5 years ago

LOL!! Sorry?

• gagalzone8
    5 years ago

Ladyreneer, do you happen to know a source for Huckleberry trees? I have a friend that is looking for some. She doesn't want to mail order if she can help it. She would like to find some at a nursery so they will be larger.

I hope you are successful with your cuttings! I tried for years and they always rotted. The bark has been wonderful. I laid sod a couple of year ago, so I have to run the sprinkler a good bit. The water hits the cuttings and they have been fine. I think the fast drainage is the key. I tried pots of sand (experimented) and it worked, but was much slower. I think the loose bark lets the roots expand more easily. I think I was just making everything so hard! lol (as usual!) Keep us posted!

• User
    5 years ago

Hi guys. Does anyone know where I could find some cuttings of the austin rose summer song?

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    5 years ago

Michael.....I am still planning on taking cuttings of my Belle Story for you! I cut it back quite hard this spring, but it's such a vigorous plant it didn't skip a beat. I'm sure I'll be able to get lots of cuttings from it this year. I may also try to root them....hopefully I'll have success!

Michael H 6b NY thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • Ladyreneer
    5 years ago

gagalzone8,

Unfortunately I don't have a source for Huckleberries but I will keep my ears open for info.

I'd love to trade rose cuttings for some of your rooted ones though if you can spare any.

Not a fair trade yet, but I can add perennial seeds or other live perennials or perennial seeds to make up for it.

As soon as I get more growth and blooms on my roses then I can take some cuttings. Some were planted this past fall.

• Michael H 6b NY
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hey everyone, I have been doing the minimum in my garden because I've been so wrapped up in school. But, I've lost 12 roses over the winter which is really heartbreaking.. i don't know what to make of it but my roses that did pull through are also so late to start this year.. anyway, i'll write back in a few more weeks and should be ready to start this!

• gagalzone8
    5 years ago

Ladyreneer, just message me later when you are ready.

• SoFL Rose z10
    5 years ago

Hi everybody. I’m jumping on the band wagon. I have a good variety to offer if anyone wants to exchange cuttings. Funny enough I too am looking for Belle Story. I have a mix of Austin’s, Kordes, ogrs and modern shrubs. Not too may HTs but a few. I’m no spray here so get em before the summer rains do :)

• Ladyreneer
    5 years ago

Hi SoFL Rose,

I have cuttings but no rooted ones yet. Today I am trying a method for rooting so I'll be ready to try an exchange if I can get some rooted. Sadly, I'm afraid that cuttings right now would be a waste for me. Mine are nearlyall Austins.

Anybody else have roses they're trying to root?

• Nancy z6b Western Massachusetts
    5 years ago

Hi, I am a no spray organic gardener and I am looking to root (or try at least) my Souvenir de la Malmaison, Zephirine Drouhin and Angel Face this year. I am a rose newbie and started a couple of years ago, but (or perhaps, therefore) made a dumb move and hard pruned this year during the growing season, in May. Only SdlM has come back from that - the rest of my rose friends are simply outraged and have shut down for the year it seems.

Been having login issues, so could not post but read about GAGal's rooting method and Alana's success, so very excited to try it.

MIchael, thanks for facilitating this - I really appreciate it..

Regards,

Nancy

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Nancy, welcome to Forum. Yeah, we all have our days with Houzz.

Hang in there and hopefully Houzz will resolved the issues. You can also send a message to Houzz if you wanna speed up process but it also takes forever.

But, you can always post pics or chat with us. The Forum members are really nice and extremely helpful. I feel as if I known them well in short period of time.

Well, anyways, welcome :)

Jin

5 years ago

Hi Jin, thanks so much and thanks also Perma n' Posies - I see Michael and others have been able to "thank" and I don't know how to do that the cool way.

• Alana8aSC
    5 years ago

Welcome Nancy! The thank option is for the person who made the post. Only they will have the thank option and others will have the like option. I hope I explained it well!

• gagalzone8
    5 years ago

Hi Nancy!! SDLM roots like a weed! Super easy. I have rooted cuttings that were only a few inches long. I feel sure Zeffy will be the same. You will really enjoy this group. Great friends here...practically family. Lots of laughs too..we have all made some major mistakes gardening, but that's how you learn!

5 years ago

Hi Alana, I appreciate being welcomed and yes, you did explain that very well.

Gagal,

Hi to you and glad to know that SdlM roots like a weed - this will be great for my very damaged ego after my recent disasters. Do you grow Zeffy? I am looking to put in a line of Madame Isaac Pereire, Sharifa Asma, SdlM and Grandmother's Hat right under the windows on the front side of my house. The idea is that as long we keep the windows open, the front rooms are fragrant, hopefully 9-10 months of the year.

I live in 6a/6b, and I need a rose that, as another poster said about Benjamin Britten, blooms like a fool. Still chuckling about that one.

Much regards and thank you for being so willing to share your knowledge and network with me.

Nancy

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022