SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twosit4me

Help me lighten up my kitchen

Twosit4me
6 years ago

I remodeled my kitchen about 10 years ago and have been really unhappy with it almost from the beginning. I need to lighten it up and I am committed to making some changes. I absolutely hate my counter tops, so I know I'll have to replace those and bar stools, kitchen table and paint. While I am at it I want to drop the Island down to one level. If I do that I have to move the cabinets on the back of my island to above my bar and replace with lower cabinets.

As long as I'm replacing half the cabinets in island, should I do white and paint the whole island white?

I could use suggestions on tone of countertop. Can't do Quartz because they quoted over 8K just for that. So I'm looking at granite or Quartzite. Do I need to stick with golden tone or can I go white tones? The floor isn't changing and I would like to avoid painting all of the cabinets until I try other things first.

Any and all suggestions welcome. Please be gentle

Lynda with the Snaggle toothed kitchen

existing kitchen · More Info

existing · More Info

Comments (24)

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Your kitchen looks nice, to me.why don’t you like the counters?

a relatively inexpensive counter, as a stopgap measureuntil your next full remodel (ahem) is laminate. They hold up well.

If you do repaint, white is very nice, but stick with your warm colors, since you have them already.

Lastly, if you ever do get to the point of changing that island, be sure to run those options past the experts here in kitchens.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

I love your floor!!! I love your kitchen cabs on the perimeter of your kitchen... i would not paint or replace those! The island does look a bit dark - could lighting be improved? I agree to lower the island counter height so it is the same for the whole island - Change the countertop for the island only, and maybe the price will make you happier. At the same time, perhaps get cabs for the island that are painted, say, cream or a warm white? (Do a neutral wall paint to complement. )

Twosit4me thanked artemis_ma
  • Related Discussions

New house - Please help me spruce up my kitchen

Q

Comments (18)
    Yes, this is a very easy fix with color on the wall. Yes to a backsplash and yes to paint. Think about painting the ceiling too. Pull the colors from the granite to design the backsplash and then go deep with the wall color to blend in the cabinets rather than have them stick out so starkly. The floor tile already looks good with the cabinetry so that's in your favor. Here is a before of my kitchen ... clearly it wasn't finished in this photo, but what I want you to notice is the paint color. The cabinets look flat even though there's color on the wall. Shortly after we moved in, I repainted to the deep rust color and suddenly the graining and the richness in the wood appeared. I'm sure your kitchen will be a real Wow! once you add some saturated color.
    ...See More

help lighten up my kitchen,

Q

Comments (13)
    It is a painting technique and really like the idea of white, how do I pick a color that does not clash with the fireplace or window trim, ceiling, etc. I don't want to add anything, (crown molding) ..I love the windows and don't want to take away from them, really like a clean, simple and sharp look, my decorating style is coastal. Thank you so much pricklypearcactus, I would have never thought of that. (would hate to have pinkish cabinets, my husband would kill me! Navajo white, I'll check that out....thanks everyone! (Move in is August 1st and our painter is coming then and paint, due to him painting and our kids coming in from out of state to help us move, don't have the timing to reflect on color after all the prior family's furnishings are out.
    ...See More

Help me freshen up my kitchen!

Q

Comments (9)
    I would consider painting the kitchen a nice warm white that will enhance the warm wood tones....then do a deep navy back splash, add brass or ss knobs, and install pot lights and a modern brass or ss chandelier in the ceiling and remove the pot rack. Also invest in a SS stove to even things outs with the appliances.
    ...See More

Help me light up my kitchen please !!

Q

Comments (3)
    Look at a company called SORAA for LED bulbs. They have a line for residential/homeowners as well as commercial/hospitality. Where are the main lights in your kitchen now? I’m not seeing downlights in the ceiling. See how you feel about that lighting, once the counters are in (did they install today? So excited for you!). How does it make you feel when you’re in the kitchen or looking at the kitchen from an adjacent room? Contrary to what you’ll hear (a lot), there is not one be all end all bulb or color temperature that works for everyone and every setting. :)
    ...See More
  • Twosit4me
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, the reason I dislike the counters is because it is black, shows everything and also has weird flaws in it that I didn't see when I chose the slabs.

I will be updating the lights but the room gets lots of natural light from Windows and sliders all along the back. My gut tells me the main problem is the countertop and maybe the backsplash, which seems light when it's not on the kitchen ;(

I'm considering replacing the cabinets on the backside of the island with Barker cabinets and they offer Linen White finish, would that be in the correct tone? That way I could just paint the rest of the island to match.

If I was to break down and do quartz could someone give me an idea of a tone that might look good?

Thanks again

• beth09
    6 years ago

You have beautiful cabinets (and kitchen!). I would not replace, or paint. Take the money you would spend on that and get a lighter counter. Your gut is right, a lighter counter would reflect more light up, hence making it lighter. Find a product you can afford in a lighter coordinating color.

I personally would not drop your island to one level. When you do that, you now make the water that inevitably sprays/splashes out from it when working/using it, more apt to hit the area in front of any guests sitting at it.

Twosit4me thanked beth09
  • my_four_sons
    6 years ago

May I suggest removing all of the decor items above the cabinets (and on the walls above)? I feel like those draw attention to the “snaggletooth” uppers. Then I would paint the walls the same off-white as your dining nook, add pretty cream stools, and perhaps off-white globe lights. I would do all that before messing around with your cabinets.

I wouldn’t go to the expense of changing countertops, but if you do I believe quartzite would be out of your budget. I would go with an off-white quartz.

Twosit4me thanked my_four_sons
  • javiwa
    6 years ago

Quartzite slabs themselves will generally be more expensive than most granites (whether due to demand, their 'hardness'/durability or their non-etching nature). Fabricator costs for quartzite will also be higher as companies (that know what they're doing, anyway!) will spend many more man-hours (labor $$$) and blades/pads to properly cut/prepare this very hard stone.

I agree with all comments about starting with lightening your counters. Perhaps one of our Photoshopping wizards will swing by and mock up your kitchen with lighter tops. Good luck with your kitchen -- hope all goes well for you!

Twosit4me thanked javiwa
  • mark_rachel
    6 years ago

Lighter countertops & painting the french doors white to match the trim would help. Lighter chairs at your bar too.

Twosit4me thanked mark_rachel
  • kim k
    6 years ago

I think just changing the island counter top - make it one level and use something lighter for the counter (a white corian perhaps?) would make a big difference. Any chance you can turn it so it isn't angled while you're at it? Also newer lighter (in color and composition) stools would take away darkness from the kitchen.

I would not make the island cabinets lighter though... I think it works the opposite way with light cabinets dark island, but not so great with light island cabinetry and dark perimeter cabinets.

You are being too hard on your kitchen it's nice I actually think your wood cabinets are beautiful.

Twosit4me thanked kim k
  • User
    6 years ago

When everything else in your home is warm-toned, a white countertop does look out of place. You need a cream or ivory counter with very little movement. Quartz is the best choice and will also give you the most options for working with the existing backsplash and floor tile.

Barker's cabinets will use a conversion varnish so their Linen White may not be exactly the same as paint. Instead of disassembling the island and hodge-podging it back together, I'd consider replacing it. I'd want a one-level counter too, since you have no deep counters. I would also turn it parallel to your range wall as kim k suggested. That will be more functional and go a long way toward modernizing your kitchen.

Twosit4me thanked User
  • H202
    6 years ago

I think your cabinets look pretty nice! And i'm normally a modern-style person....

Here's my two cents:

- Don't paint or replace any cabinets. Two tone islands are a trend on the way out, and i think white cabinets in your island would actually accentuate the darkness in the rest of your kitchen.

- Replace those chairs. And not just with something "light colored" but with something minimalist that the eye barely notices. Two minutes of searching got me these - not totally right - but really clean lines. https://www.westelm.com/products/slope-leather-bar-counter-stools-h1752/?pkey=ccounter-bar-stools&group=1&sku=7045896

- Replace the lights. Again just two minutes of searching, but i'd go with something minimalist that you don't notice: https://www.westelm.com/products/industrial-pendant-glass-w682/?pkey=cpendants

- Get rid of all the stuff on top of your cabinets.

- Paint the french doors the same color as the trim

- Paint the walls above the cabinets the same color as the dining area. However.... that dining area looks too cool white to me, and i think it may be making the kitchen feel even darker than it needs to. If your house isn't open concept and it's somewhat easy to repaint the whole kitchen, i'd paint the whole room a creamy white -- exactly the same darkness as what's in you dining area, but just with a bit more brown/cream in it.

- Redo the backsplash. I honestly think that and the paint colors are 99% of the problem. You can do that for not so much money. Redo in a soft light cream. Maybe a 4x10 subway tile. Avoid any patterns in the backsplash, and avoid any small tiles. Even regular 3x6 subway tiles will be too busy in your kitchen. You have a LOT of lines with all your cabinets, so avoid lines as much as possible with your backsplash.

- I don't think the countertop is a problem at all. I don't think dark countertops make rooms dark. In fact, if you replaced the island with a light countertop, i'd worry it would make the island cabinets seem dark (and if you replace those with cream, they'd make the rest of the kitchen seem dark).

The good news is i just cut down your budget and drama by a ton! All you need is: backsplash, paint, chairs and lights. You can do all that with almost no mess and in a week's time. I'd potentially replace your cabinet hardware, because i think it's so ornate that it's making the cabinets feel heavily and darker. Maybe replace with something more modern. But that's really optional. I think the end product will feel like a lightened up 2018 kitchen!

Twosit4me thanked H202
  • Twosit4me
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Is there someone who could photoshop Calcutta gold on the counters? I priced out Cambria Brittanicca Warm and the price was $120 a square ft. Quartzite would be more than that? I really am happy with the function of the kitchen. We moved the island to an angle on a whim when we were remodeling the kitchen before. I do all my prep on that former to the right of the sink and it allows me to see outside and be closer to people in the family room. The island can't be moved without redoing the floor...a big mistake on our part.

The French doors are my pantry doors and we had them stained purposely to match the cabinets. Painting them shouldn't be a problem and as I look at the photos I agree with the comments.

• Twosit4me
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a vaulted ceiling in the kitchen, don't I need something up there?

H202 I really like those lights you linked. I'm not sure the scale would be big enough for the ceiling height though. I do plan on replacing the lights and will look for something similar. I read the "industrial look" is on it's way out, but I really like the style.

Thanks for the input on the size of the tiles, I totally agree there are too many lines already. We saw that mistake as soon as we finished.

Have I mentioned I hate the counter top?;)

• H202
    6 years ago

I still think you might like your countertop more once you replace everything else :)

On lights and chairs: wasn't trying to suggest industrial specifically so much as just something that you literally don't notice. Your room has a lot of things going on. If you are looking for a light or chair that will bring some "interest" to the room, you are looking in the wrong direction! The light should be just glass and a bulb.

I don't think you need anything leading up to your ceiling. Maybe down the road you get wood planks on the ceiling? To add some interest?

I'd replace the lights, tear out the backsplash, paint the room, and physically remove the chairs from the space - and live with it for a month with no backsplash (assuming there's a neutral drywall behind) and then decide if you really need to replace the countertops.

Twosit4me thanked H202
  • kim k
    6 years ago

Twositforme- a big decorating misconception (from what I've learned on this site) is that you need to decorate up high if you have high ceilings. You are only supposed to decorate to a human size scale, so just where you can see naturally not where you need to look up. Not explaining it great, but the gist is don't put anything on top of your cabinets :)

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

kim k: I think you meant that you *don't* need to decorate up high if you have high ceilings. And I agree with you!!! I second my_four_sons, and the others' recommendations. A few changes are going to make a big difference!!!

• MotherOfGiants
    6 years ago
    Don't rule out quartz because of the Cambria quote. Lowes and Home Depot frequently have significant sales on quartz -- and some very nice patterns. I agree with others that warm colors are best. You might check out Silestone Lusso, for example.
  • H202
    6 years ago

i think the stuff my four sons posted are nice, but both are way too busy for your space. Even that plain glass pendant has a LOT of curves.

• Twosit4me
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm going to check out the Silestone tomorrow. I like several of those lights that have been shared (although I keep thinking about how to keep the glass clean) and I will eventually look at replacing my lights. I need to have at least 100W per fixture and the ability to hang them about 8' down.

I couldn't go as modern as the stools you posted H202. I do like the stools Mother posted but I don't think nailhead trim would work because I just ordered two leather recliners that have nailheads for the living room.

The reason why I thought the light colored island might work is because we are doing a bunch of built-ins on the media wall in the living room. We are repainting and pretty much redoing everything in the room. I thought that doing the built-ins the same color as the island would tie it all together. Does that change any thoughts?

before view from media wall · More Info
    view from media wall toward kitchen

living room media wall · More Info
    Pretty much everything you see will be gone. Everything is in weird spots because my granddaughter is here,

from island · More Info
    Taken from the island this is what's behind the couch.

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

What a beautiful pool, and I certainly envy that huge sliding wall! I really like the creamy beige wall color against your pretty, white molding (at least on my monitor). The floors look nice, too!

What color are you doing for the built-ins? And yes, in my opinion, it would definitely make sense to tie the island to the colors of the built-ins. The rooms are obviously open to each other. btw, I like a flat island, as well, and not the step-up. I'd change that in my own house (someday). Your room is so big, that I think you could easily look into turning that island square. Perhaps you can find your floor tile, or who knows, maybe you won't need any extra? But if you can't, I think the changes you are envisioning are really going to freshen up this space.

Please post pictures as you go! That's the fun part (for us)!!!!!

Twosit4me thanked Mrs. S
  • rebeccamomof123
    6 years ago

I think you have beautiful cabinets! Definitely do not paint any of them. Totally agree with myfoursons, start by removing the plants and nic nacks above your cabinets. Paint the aqua wall to the same color as the wall above the french doors. A cream quartzite would be pretty. Or, leave the counters, which I like, and replace the backsplash with a cream subway tile. Then some new lighting, and new stools.

• Bette P
    6 years ago

Lots of potential for great things in these spaces.

As suggested, take down everything from above the cabinets, plus remove the curly decor above the doorway by the breakfast area. I think there's more up high on the wall between the kitchen and family room, get it down. No need to decorate up above a human's reach. If the valance in the breakfast area is covering window glass, take it down.

If the kitchen floor is staying, the paint, counter and backsplash have to be cohesive. When you repaint, continue above the pantry doors and the breakfast room with the same wall color. Study your photos, the walls are choppy. The breakfast area wall color looks the best with your floor and cabinets.

Are you drywalling over the arches in the family room? Are you adding a gas fireplace in this spot? I would avoid adding a ton of open shelves here, too much dusting and eye clutter. Ikea Besta system might be worth a peek. Leave room for wall art.

Cliff · More Info

Lindaflora House, Bel Air, CA · More Info

Twosit4me thanked Bette P
  • Twosit4me
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. Bette P, I really had not thought of drywalling those arches. Great idea. We do have some drywall repair that needs to be done so maybe I will have them do that as well. In Florida they used to make wall shelves out of drywall. This was when large screen TV's were just coming in to style. We knew enough that we didn't want the whole wall to have permanent built ins so it was left blank and we had a large entertainment center in there for a long time. I appreciate your suggestion about the shelving and dust. After reading here recently we have decide to do just what you suggested and do primarily bottom storage drawers and bookshelves. I think we will do some picture frame molding around the tv and on each side. That cut out is over 17' I will check out Ikea Besta, not sure I have heard of it.

When we moved here 15 years ago the "in" style was "Mediterranean", while I never went full in I did embrace the colors and tried to add some tropical too. I had two of the walls in the kitchen a burnt orange color. One of the upscale furniture stores is now advertising "de-Tuscanizing" We were joking the other night that is what a bunch of us are doing now.

Would LG Vietra Clarino be the tone of counter top I should be looking at?http://www.lgviaterausa.com/products/289/213

Thanks again for the help. It is greatly appreciated. I'm so happy to have found Gardenweb again..I thought you were gone.