SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_621155

Water Pressure coming from both water lines inside water heater room

HU-621155
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have had poor water heat from my tankless water system, so decided to change it back to a tank.

Here is the problem:

There are 2 water lines entering my water heater room. One is the cold water inlet and the other is the hot water exit from the water heater, feeding the house (normal). I was not sure which was the main inlet line so I put a hose on both and put the hoses inside the washing machine. I turned the main water line to the house back on and guess what. There is equal pressure coming from both water lines. I cannot hook up the water heater until I figure out which line in the cold water inlet.

There has to be a crossover leak from the cold water side to the hot water side somewhere in the house. The home is simple: 4 Sinks, bathroom sinks have one single knob that you press left for hot and right for cold. All are working properly. 2 Bath tubs: Both have a single water on knob with a lever that rotates 360 degrees with hot on the left side. They seem to be working, not sure how to check. I disassembled one to see if there was a (hot/cold) way to assemble them so they have to be

assembled correctly and they do not. The lever to the left is hot and both are doing that.

So, I cannot figure out how there can be water pressure coming from the line that feeds hot water to the house. Both water lines have the same water pressure and I am believing that is why my tankless water heater is not heating the home properly.

If you have any ideas, email me Joe at JoeBurns dot net with your ideas. Not sure if I will find this forum again to get an answer here. I am in Humble, Texas.

Thanks,

Joe

ps: The photo enclosed is how it has been hooked up for 8 years. It was assuming the right line was the inlet. Now I see there is pressure coming from both. The filter on the right line is inline and helped keep scale from the water. The hoses draped over the left are just spare hoses. I put valves on both sides so I could work on the water heater without going outside to cut the water on/off.

Comments (6)