SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeonassky

Do you have a big screen TV? And cable television?

yeonassky
6 years ago

Do you use it frequently?

Do you spend the big bucks on cable for the TV and not watch it very often?

Also do you fight over it with your SO?

We have been going back and forth as to whether we actually need a big screen TV.

We haven't had one for years. I use my Surface and my husband uses his PC to watch our shows from Netflix.

I really love sci-fi and would love to watch cable TV just for that reason. I vacilate between feeling guilty and really desiring to watch silly shows like Doctor Who and other science fiction shows that don't show up on Netflix very frequently.

DH isn't interested in TV at all except for for movies. He likes to fast forward through movies and I like to watch most of them although I do tend to wander away and do housework then remember I was watching something and come back for a few minutes and then start the whole cycle over again :-)

I'll just add that I don't have any outside shall we say Hobbies which take my money. So it's not like I'm spending Mega bucks all the time. DH does have an expensive hobby of riding a dirt bike motorcycle for which he always needs lots of stuff. Not justification necessarily my last statement but just showing it wouldn't be unequal.

Comments (63)

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

DH enjoys our 60" since his retirement. I don't watch TV much during the day so he enjoys his action films or cowboys shows. I do have the kitchen 24" on while working in there. We have satellite programing. An evening movie is more enjoyable on a big screen with surround sound and popcorn!

yeonassky thanked Elizabeth
  • amylou321
    6 years ago

We have a 55 in in both our living room and bedroom. In the next year or so, I will be turning the useless little weird room the previous owners added to our house into a man cave for him, and will put a big tv in there too. We do not hardly ever agree on what to watch,so we need at least 2. He likes the news,anything to do with cars,and movies. I like cooking shows,tlc,and animal shows. (He likes some animal shoes too)We cant even agree on a movie to watch together we are so different,and I rarely have the patience to sit through a movie anyway.

Right now,we have direct tv,but when our contract is up,we are going to try just getting a fire stick or a roku and see how that works. SO is forever whining about the bill,and we agree that what we get channel wise is a bit of a rip off. Half the channels are shopping channels.

yeonassky thanked amylou321
  • Related Discussions

flat screen TV cable box

Q

Comments (2)
    Wall hung TVs require remotely located associated equipment including the cable/dish/FIOS box, DVD, receiver, etc. Some place the equipment out of sight in a nearby closet or within sight in a cabinet. How to accomplish this and provide for the future as well as right now is the interesting part. It is not safe to just run cables because they keep changing. It is best to run a big conduit in the wall from behind the TV to the equipment area. You might need an IR repeater or RF remote control. Some TV's have a cable card slot and you can get a card from your cable TV company to plug into it. This can eliminate the box if you don't want DVR or the program guide.
    ...See More

TV above fireplace--how do you run cables for cable box/DVD

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, you point the remote at the device you wish to control, however, human nature always makes you want to point it at the television. If the cable box and television are roughly in the same area, the cable box will hopefully "see" the remote control's IR (infrared) signal. If they are too far away, or if the A/V components are in a cabinet, you can purchase an "IR repeater". The repeater consists of a IR receiver which you discreetly place near the television. It then sends the IR signal to small IR emitters that you place near your A/V components. They come in both wired and wireless versions between the receiver and emitters. You may need some help from somebody that can look at the outputs available on your A/V components: Cable Box, DVD player, etc, and the input options of the television to determine what types of connection/cables you will need between the two. You may also want to add some additional cables for "future components." Additionally, Ethernet wiring (for an internet connection) should be run to the television and also another to where your A/V components are located. If you're installing a home theater sound system, the wiring for that needs to be figured out as well. The single HDMI cable reference I made earlier refers to connecting all you A/V components to the receiver for the sound system, and using it to control which source is displayed on the television. Many people end up preferring to send the signals to both the receiver and the television. That way, if you are "just watching TV" you can use just the TV. If you are watching a movie on DVD and want the full surround sound, then you turn on the receiver as well. By the way, the cables/wiring used in-wall to the television (and speakers wiring if done in-wall) need to be in-wall rated. That refers to the type of insulation used in the cable for safety purposes.
    ...See More

what brand of lcd tv do you have? do you like it?

Q

Comments (46)
    We just went from a 27" crt tv to a 42" LCD Emerson (bought at WalMart on Black Friday) for Christmas. We LOVE it. It's not even hooked up to HD, just DirecTV. We've only seen HD on it when I get a blu-ray from NetFlix. We really love the picture. We also got a Sony blu-ray player that can stream NetFlix. We got the 4 Monster HDMI cables (5 feet) on Black Friday for $10.00 each. We also got a Wii, which we also love. The bowling is so much fun. We will probably get a Wii Fit for it, too. When we get back to MN, we will get a 46" Sony Bravia or a 50" Sanyo plasma. Our tv has a refresh rate of 60, it works for us. And it cost $398 on Black Friday. The LED and the plasma have beautiful pictures, but the LED is a jump in price. I think they will drop though, as the stores push 3D more. The LED is noticeably brighter than the LCDs, to me. But they all look wonderful in the big sizes compared to a 20 or 26" CRT tv. Like being at the movies!
    ...See More

Where do you put the cable box for the TV in the kitchen?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have an old small TV with a built-in antenna in my kitchen. Just bought a digital converter box and it's small and just sits on top of the TV - but you probably couldn't do that with a newer flat screen TV. If you can live without the premium channels in your kitchen, you MIGHT be able to feed the cable directly into your TV without the cable box and use the tuner on the TV to select channels. But that would really depend on both the particular cable company and your TV - these days not all cable companies still provide an analog feed and newer TVs don't have an analog tuner.
    ...See More
  • blfenton
    6 years ago

We have a big screen which DH uses and means nothing to me. I have a smaller tv in the family room which is all I need. We bought the cable level of service that will give me Space. We don't have Netflix or anything else.

yeonassky thanked blfenton
  • chisue
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

One 46" Sony in the 'Library'. (We read in the Living Room.) One 21" Samsung on the buffet in the 'Breakfast Room' (where we eat all our meals). Comcast at $137/mo. including taxes for very fast internet and HD-DVR Cable. The large TV has a Sony Blu-ray for streaming from Amazon Prime ($99/yr). Our grandkids use that to play games when they visit. We have never wanted TV in our bedroom.

Today we removed DVR service from our 32" Samsung in the LR at the condo. Basic cable is part of our AOAO dues here, but we will still pay $5.59/mo. w/taxes to have two cable boxes. Small screen in the BR here -- which we never watch, but is a rental demand.

To be competitive as a vacation rental we should buy a GIANT TV for the LR at the condo and hang a BIG TV on the BR wall -- like an old motel! With TV's now so cheap, we could probably buy two new sets for what we paid for the current LR Samsung.

I don't understand the HUGE TV in a living room that is only 17' wide, but I admit our current set is 'small' for today's market.

DH and I watch news live and stream stuff from Amazon or our local library's DVD collection. He watches only *his* sports teams: Bears, Cubs, and sometimes Wildcats.

This IS our 'entertainment', day to day. It's $150/mo for our home. Big Deal.

• susanwv
    6 years ago

We have two 50 inch, one in family room, one in old living room, he turns it way loud and I’m so glad we have different rooms,! We do visit each other now and then in the evening, haha. We have totally different program likes also, he’s strictly cars and crime, I’m into animal shows, nature, etc.

yeonassky thanked susanwv
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

Haha, yeonassky.....I must say that both you and your husband would be very annoying to watch a movie with!

We have a 48 inch HDTV with cable, Netflix, and Amazon Prime and probably get our money's worth. We like to choose movies or favorite series and enjoy the same things much of the time.

My husband and I have an agreement about control of the remote. He tries to wield control but I keep score. For every hour of viewing that I truly object to, I get to enjoy programming that he goans over. The remotes spend most of their time in my jurisdiction, even if we're watching what he wants.

We both prefer to spend our time together rather than split up in front of separate screens, so we compromise. I spend lots of time with my Kindle fire tablet during college basketball championships, while he acts like an arm chair coach/ref. Likewise, he can disassociate himself from The Good Wife, or something else he thinks he hates by sticking his nose into his phone.

yeonassky thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • yeonassky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you everyone:-).

The cost is a tough one. Not for the TV itself. The monthly fees bother the heck out of me too. I go out for a movie maybe twice a year and I have Netflix so it really would be my entertainment. Here I think we pay approximately $100 a month to get the full package. I would definitely have to look and see what their programming offers.

It's not that he is saying no to the money. It really is up to me. I'm the one who hates spending that kind of money on entertainment even.

You've given me lots of thoughts to contemplate. I will then present my thoughts and arguments to DH and see if we can make a decision. We've been going back and forth on this for at least 4 months!

Rhizo yes we are! In order for us to be in the same room together and sometimes even holding hands DH wears a headset. It's our time spent together with separate interests. It's quite weird but it works for us. :-). Maybe we need two large TVs by side. :-)

• kathyg_in_mi
    6 years ago

I would love to get rid of cable, but where we live you can’t use one of those antennas that looks like a piece of paper and hangs on the wall.we would only get 1 channel! DH loves to watch the local news.

We have a 46” in the living room and I have a 32” in the computer/sewing room. Works for us.

Also one in spare bedroom that gets Netflix, but rarely used.

yeonassky thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • Cherryfizz
    6 years ago

I have a 20 inch tv, over the air antenna. I refuse to pay to watch tv. and haven't in more than 10 years My brother gave me an android box for Christmas but it won't work with my tv nor my laptop. I used to watch a lot of tv but only watch a few shows now, mostly CBS on Thursday night and CBC shows and The National News, I even stopped watching hockey haha. Once my sister's estate gets settled and I finally get my washer and dryer hooked up I might purchase a 32 inch tv and then be able to use the android box.

yeonassky thanked Cherryfizz
  • Condo Home
    6 years ago

We have one TV. It's 55" and I would not go smaller. I enjoy it a lot more than watching on a laptop.

We gave up cable TV many years ago and don't miss it. We switch between Netflix and Hulu and once or twice a year we'll get Amazon Prime for a month at a time. We also have an antenna for local channels.

We currently have a free trial of DirectvNow and really aren't watching it. I much prefer getting TV shows on Hulu, where I can watch whenever I want, instead of on someone else's schedule.

yeonassky thanked Condo Home
  • ldstarr
    6 years ago

No and no. We have no television of any size in our home and thus, no cable tv package. We both prefer to read and listen to music, though we do watch "This Old House" each week on the computer. We figure we've saved a load of money (something over $20,000) since divesting ourselves of the TV and cable package 17 years ago!

yeonassky thanked ldstarr
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 years ago

I have a 32" in which has been fine for me so far ( it was an upgrade from the 19" that I watched for 25 years), but sometimes I think a 40" might be easier on my eyes. I don't have cable; I pay for internet, bought a Roku stick, and also pay for PlayStation Vue. Oh, I also donated to my local PBS station so I get full access to all PBS programs at will -- I am loving that! With all that, I am still paying $40 less than cable was charging me for basic service -- no DVR. I don't watch even as much as I did when I cut the cable cord, so it seems I am keeping PS Vue just for the rare and random times that I want to watch BBC America. I know that I will want to watch the Tour de France on NBCSN in July, also -- that is the only sport I watch, and mostly must do so over the internet as the races are rarely shown on TV.

It's probably time to price compare the various streaming services to see if I want to keep Vue or switch to one of the other ones.

yeonassky thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

No and no. We have a 27" tv and no cable. I care nothing about tv. I quit watching it on a regular basis when I was in jr. high school. The tv is in the bedroom and I use it for a nightlight. My husband likes to watch old westerns like from around the '50's thru the 60's. (I especially hate westerns). That and sports. The tv is usually on when I am home alone....sometimes I watch Dr. Phil...and I watch Antiques Roadshow and I watch cooking shows on PBS. Most of the time, it is on mute.

We have about 80+ stations on regular tv. I like documentaries and PBS on one of their stations has been running a marathon of new documentaries....30 of them in 30 days and I have seen most of those. I also watch documentaries on the computer on youtube. And there are a lot of books on tape that I listen to on youtube and sometimes pod casts on Stitcher.

yeonassky thanked marilyn_c
  • chisue
    6 years ago

Internet is part of our cable TV package. If you do not have cable, how do *you* get internet to let you stream on any device? What does that cost?

yeonassky thanked chisue
  • nicole___
    6 years ago

We just picked up a movie from the library. FREE of course. Last week we rented one from Redbox. We don't have cable, we get about 23 channels with an antenna free.
    We watch movies or yoga DVD's for instance in the weight room. Nature and Nova are favorites of ours. We have several TV's, even one in the master bathroom.....soak in the tub and watch the nightly business report.

The TV's are all smart. You can log onto the internet with them. 55" Samsung's.

yeonassky thanked nicole___
  • wanda_va
    6 years ago

I love TV! Stan wouldn't care if we didn't own a TV set. We have Dish Network, with all the channels available. I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime.

We have a 55" Smart TV in the living room; 50" in the den; 50" in the playroom; 47" in the master bedroom; 45" in the quilt studio; 32" in the main kitchen; 24" in the second kitchen; 27" in the guest suite. As the TVs die, they will be replaced by larger ones. When the den TV goes, it will likely be replaced by an 80". As I stated, I love TV!

yeonassky thanked wanda_va
  • phoggie
    6 years ago

50" in Living Room, 43 in my bedroom and guest bedroom, 19 in kitchen and do have cable. I love TV! When DH was alive, we had 8 in the house and he turned on the bathroom one the first thing he got up. (We had a much larger house those days.)

yeonassky thanked phoggie
  • Condo Home
    6 years ago

Chisue, I have internet-only through Charter. It is delivered through the same underground cables that cable TV would be, if I had it. I am fortunate to be grandfathered into an older plan that only costs about $33 per month including taxes. Most, if not all, cable companies offer an internet-only plan if you request it, but they often have promotions that lure people into getting TV programming too.

I have a smart TV and smart Bluray player, but I prefer to use a Roku to stream Netfix, Hulu, etc.

Charter has had no choice but to "let" me stream from whoever I want, but that may change now that net neutrality has been killed.

yeonassky thanked Condo Home
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

In the house we did have a 58 Samsung plasma in the living room and a 32 in the bedroom. We have direct tv. In the motorhome we have a 42 in the living room and a 32 bedroom. We have direct tv there too. No sports or movie packages. A somewhat basic plan. We have high speed internet from xfinity. We did watch a lot of TV before the floods but it kind of broke our habit so we don't watch as much. I just as soon go lay in bed and be comfortable with my tablet. I don't stream much. We both read a lot. He has a kindle paperwhite he is using now. The chromebook is on the table in the living room so it is readily available. It was more difficult for me to live without my tablets and computers than the TV. We will have to buy a new TV for the house no idea what size, probably about what we had before. We both have declining vision so the big screen is essential. It will be a smart TV. We especially like having a TV for the weather! We can get a lot of HD channels over the air too.

yeonassky thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • maifleur01
    6 years ago

Have two tvs. I would get rid of both of them except when this area has violent storms it is good to have them to see where the weather is. Our NWS does do a good job pre-storms but they are too busy to update. Like gardengal I was so tired of sports all of the time I never want to see another game again. Will probably watch the Olympics and World Cup. The latter on the Spanish language channel because it sounds much more exciting.

yeonassky thanked maifleur01
  • Marcy
    6 years ago

I've always said, if I ever run for office my motto wouldn't be a chicken in every pot, it would be, "A TV in every room!!!" LOL!! We got a really big Samsung smart tv for the family room last month and have been sitting on the sofa with our feet propped up enjoying a cocktail and binge watching things we've missed over the last few years. Suits, Stranger Things, Breaking Bad.... enjoying the heck out of it and our time together.

yeonassky thanked Marcy
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I used to use my cell phone as what they call a "hot spot" but service is very poor here, and it was slow to non existent at least part of the time. I have satellite now for internet with Hughesnet. It costs about $70 a month and is high speed and very reliable.

yeonassky thanked marilyn_c
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    6 years ago

We have a new big screen tv. DD called her dad to say that they had bought an 80 inch tv, but their family room is large and opens into the kitchen where they can see it too. Envy set in and we upgraded to a larger set (65?) as our Christmas present to each other. Where we live, we must have cable to get any tv reception, and we do have a few premium channels. We are retired, and find we are watching tv more than ever. We especially like PBS these days, but I did love seeing the Netflix The Crown using an introductory free month.

yeonassky thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • lily316
    6 years ago

I'm glad to read that other couples have his and hers TVs. In addition to our separate TVs we share an old Zenith built in our kitchen cabinet. It's so old but still works fine so we won't get a small flat screen till that one dies. It's probably over 20 years old...maybe 25. One of these days we may get me another larger screen and give him the Sony. The sunroom is a smaller room and he sits much closer than I do. He watches any sport that has a ball and I hate sports. We watch two shows together, Survivor and Amazing Race when they're on.

yeonassky thanked lily316
  • aok27502
    6 years ago

We have one TV in the house, a 38" in the den. We really never watch broadcast TV, and gave up DirecTV years ago. No cable here, and we were paying a lot to watch maybe five channels.

Now we watch movies on Amazon Prime. When I'm working around the house, I also enjoy turning on youtube and starting a music video and letting it run. It hops all over and I see/hear some music I would never know about otherwise.

yeonassky thanked aok27502
  • Michael
    6 years ago

Internet Only costs us $49 for 50 mbps. For us, Internet Only service is far more useful than cable tv.

yeonassky thanked Michael
  • aviastar 7A Virginia
    6 years ago

Pssss...Dr Who is available on Amazon! Almost all the past seasons are included with Prime but you can purchase the newest season and watch as it’s released. A lot of the SyFy shows are also available there, Warehouse 13, Eureka, Defiance. If you have an entertainment ‘budget’ but don’t want to be trapped into a contract and a monthly fee- get a fire stick and just purchase what you’d like to watch ad hoc.

yeonassky thanked aviastar 7A Virginia
  • irma
    6 years ago

I was going to reply with yes, I do, but after reading through.........I have to say no. I always thought my 28" flat screen was big.

yeonassky thanked irma
  • albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    6 years ago

I've a laptop plugged into a flat-screen that's big as the room will tolerate. I get AT$T DSL and all my internet including Netflix is done on the big screen.

We watch Jeopardy! OTA.

yeonassky thanked albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
  • Bluebell66
    6 years ago

Yes and yes. And we have his and hers TVs, too. DH has huge TV in his basement TV room for watching sports. We also need cable to get the sports channels he NEEDS - you know, those ones he will die without. I have a tiny TV on our sun porch. I watch the news on that one and a few weekly programs. I sometimes watch Netflix on my iPad while I do other things.

yeonassky thanked Bluebell66
  • Alisande
    6 years ago

How big is "big?" (Maybe you addressed that above.) I have a 43" set in the living room. It looks plenty big to me, but it's not nearly as large as my (grown) kids' TVs. I like it, and I like the cute 19" set in the kitchen, but I don't watch TV a lot. We've never had cable, and I'm happy with a good outdoor antenna and Amazon Prime. Sometimes I think it would be fun to get Netflix, but I know I wouldn't watch it enough to justify the expense.

Chisue, I just saw your question. I have a landline with unlimited domestic calling + high speed fiber optic wi-fi internet. It costs about $75 a month. I hardly ever use my cell phone, so I have that connected to Black Wireless and pay $10 every three months.

yeonassky thanked Alisande
  • yeonassky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No thank you for asking again. I completely forgot to address size. And apparently Size Matters in this case ;-). Somewhere in the vicinity of 50 or 60 inches we've concluded.

DH was sitting on the couch just a few moments ago and asked me where was the big screen TV we were getting. Then when I said well we should go out shopping he basically grunted at me and went back to his tea and lunch. He's part of the problem and I'm the other part. ;-)

Good to know about Amazon. Not sure if I can get that here in Canada But will check it out for sure. I've always only watched a few types of shows on television so it would be nice to get it a la carte. Thanks again I think we are actually going to get one. But maybe not cable. boohoo.

• oldgardener_2009
    6 years ago

Do you use it frequently?

Yes, every night.

Do you spend the big bucks on cable for the TV and not watch it very often?

I've never paid for cable, used an antenna until it wouldn't work anymore when the signals changed to digital, now we just stream Netflix, hulu, youtube, etc., for free.

Also do you fight over it with your SO?

No, not at all.

We have been going back and forth as to whether we actually need a big screen TV.

Doesn't sound like it's a very important item for you, like it is for some people. I could be perfectly happy just streaming Netflix on my laptop, but some people have to have the biggest and best TV made. It just depends on the person.

• User
    6 years ago

We bought 3 of our TVs from Crutchfield. They offer great support. They're also in Canada.

https://www.crutchfield.ca/

ETA: They seem to sell everything EXCEPT televisions. How strange!

yeonassky thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

I have a 55" 3D Smart Curve tv by Samsung. We use it daily. Too much, actually. lol

yeonassky thanked User
  • Michael
    6 years ago

Today's TV's offer wireless and bluetooth streaming from laptops, phones, iPads, etc.

I recently added bias lighting to our LR TV. It's truly a nice feature in a darkened room.

yeonassky thanked Michael
  • Aprile
    6 years ago

When I got divorced I moved with absolutely nothing! No dishes, furniture, electronics etc. I was told once we went to court our money would be divided and I'd have my money in a week of the divorce so I went ahead and moved into my new house. Little did I know then that it would actually take almost 4 months for me to have access to money to buy things. My son and I slept on air mattresses for 4 months with no TV or anything. That was an experience let me tell you. I had to download books to my kindle and buy my son a kindle via tethering from my phone to the kindle.

Anyway when I got money finally I went hog wild on electronics. I hate going to the movies but love watching movies and before my divorce we had a 3D TV at home and I knew I wanted another one of those. So I went out and bought a 75" 4k 3D TV with surround sound for the Living room. Each bedroom even the guest rooms have 55" TVs in them. We have cable, netflix, hulu and Amazon Prime on all of them. We love to watch movies at home and even invite friends over for movie nights. I like to lay in bed before I go to sleep and put a show on hulu and watch from season 1 to the end right now I just started rewatching ER from the start I watch a few episodes before I go to sleep each night. We have a TV in our Loft and one in our Flex room too that we use to do exercise videos. Those rooms have enough room for us to move in. One thing I will admit is Game of Thrones on a 75" TV with surround sound is Awesome! I really do admire those who can go without TV. I just have way too many shows I like to DVR or binge watch on other platforms to give it up.

yeonassky thanked Aprile
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Yes and yes, but we're old fashioned enough that we don't ever watch tv on our computer...don't netflix...don't live stream. We use dvds and cable-provided dvr.

yeonassky thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • bob_cville
    6 years ago

We have one big-ish TV which is about 46". I remember we purchased it especially for a party associated with a special ER episode that a friend of ours had a hand in, so it is not exactly new or top of the line.

We do not have cable have never paid for cable and haven't lived somewhere with the option of getting cable for over 15 years, we also have never had Direct TV. We do at present have a Roku box and an older Apple TV box, but only one can be connected at a time. We can receive 9 local stations with a smallish antenna, and often will watch Amazon Prime, but only the offerings that are included for free with it.

yeonassky thanked bob_cville
  • quasifish
    6 years ago

I am a TV junkie :^( Not proud of that, but I enjoy TV. I'd have one in every room if possible. I'm not one of those people who always has to have the TV on, but when it is on, I enjoy it!

We don't have access to much through an antennae, so cable/dish is required if you want to get much of anything. I know a lot of people who have gone with streaming services, but I watch quite a bit of news and other events that are not readily available on those services. It doesn't help that we've been with our service provider for over 20 years, so I know where all my goodies are- still the price makes me a little ill each month and goes up noticeably each year.

Growing up, our neighbors always seemed to have their TV on and an old episode of Star Trek playing. I LOVED going over there and having the TV and those type of shows running in the background. My family never had cable and only access to a few crummy channels. I blame my love of TV on lack of exposure as a child :^) My own kid will turn off the TV any chance she gets, which I think supports my theory...

yeonassky thanked quasifish
    6 years ago

Quasifish, via Roku I have access to 24/7 news from all the major outlets. Also via the PlayStation Vue service, all the major cable news channels with DVR function.

Cable was just so expensive, and, as you point out, the price was jumping $10-20 per month every year if not more -- they kept adding new charges for local TV, sports, etc-- for a bunch of channels that I never watched. They were up to $135/month, just for internet (30mps) and basic cable! Vue had all the channels that I wanted in their basic access package (except for Lifetime, which I only wanted for Project Runway and can live without that!) for $$35/month. No brainer, IMO

• quasifish
    6 years ago

Thanks raee_gw, I'll look into it. It's been a while since we've looked at what was available. From the things a lot of people around me say, it sometimes feels like old-fashioned cable/satellite packages are becoming outdated and extinct. We finally gave up our old and expensive landline phone about a year ago and couldn't be happier.

yeonassky thanked quasifish
    6 years ago

Haha, quasifish, I have kept my landline!

yeonassky thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    6 years ago

46" smart TV with Comcast/xfinity cable/DVR (and internet) downstairs. 32" smart TV with Amazon Fire Stick upstairs. I too am a TV person and sports lover. I won't cut the cable until I can get all of the channels that I like in a streaming version. I'm considering the X1 service, but I would lose everything I have on the DVR.

Oh, and I still have a landline, although Verizon made me cut it over to fiber from copper last year (which I hate).

yeonassky thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

32 inch tv which rarely gets used. We use Netflix (kids and exchange students when we have them). I hardly even go in my livingroom. I watch tv shows and movies on-line. No cable or satellite service. Got rid of Dish years ago and don't miss it or their bills. Just signed up recently for Acorn tv too...UK television with some really good shows on it.

yeonassky thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

No.

yeonassky thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • A W
    6 years ago

We have a 60" TV in the living room which the family uses it, individually during the day because someone is either on the computer, upstairs, working, etc,. so no need to fight for it during the day.

And in the evening as a family we bring stuff that can watch to the table and pick something that everyone is satisfied with, that way everyone is happy and relaxes together in the evening while during the day does what they want to do.

We don't have cable because it's expensive, unnecessary, and loaded with garbage commercials. We also use Roku which has netflix and youtube among other stuff which is basically all that we need

yeonassky thanked A W
  • FeatherBee
    6 years ago

Do you use it frequently? We use ours daily. We wake up to the news and I come home for lunch M-F and tune into shows during that time. We also watch TV at night, especially before bed.

Do you spend the big bucks on cable for the TV and not watch it very often? Yes, and I feel ripped off with Directv.

Also do you fight over it with your SO? No. We have multiple TVs so if we disagree on a show then I just watch in a different room.

Our house isn't that big and it's just me and the hubby. We have a 54" in our living room and I don't consider that very big anymore. When we replace it someday we'll go to 65-70". Our living room is open to the kitchen and I have to squint to see the guide on my 54" so bigger is needed lol.

In our bedroom I think we have a 46" ?? It's not very far from our bed so it's plenty big. And in the basement we have around a 50" but we never go down there.

Our TVs are older but get the job done. It's so hard for me to spend money on an item when I have something that already works. So I just wait until things break. I'm down to my last working HDMI port on the living room TV so once that one goes then I'll cheerfully buy a new 65-70"...

yeonassky thanked FeatherBee
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

We do have cable through Spectrum, I downgraded us once to lower the bill and need to look again to see if I really need all of the programming that we are purchasing. I thought that we had large tvs but this thread has shown me that we really don't.

yeonassky thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • ntt_hou
    6 years ago

No cable, do not need it. I have a 50" with streaming capability. I also have an older TV with no streaming capability. For this TV, I purchased a Roku device (about or less than $30 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-more-powerful-Streaming/dp/B075XN1NZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1516776067&sr=1-1&keywords=roku). It is a streaming unit. Just plug to the TV via HDMI. Streaming provides lots and lots of things to watch including sci fi. There are lots of free apps to watch and if you want to subscribe to one or 2, fees are much cheaper than cable.

So if you can, get a TV that can do streaming (you need to have internet for streaming). Or you can get a TV without streaming and purchase Roku or a similar device. You can move the Roku device from TV to TV and can even bring it on your trip to use on hotel TVs.