SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassi_cook

Which size rug?

Cassi Cook
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I bought an 8 x 10, but I’m wondering if a 9 x 12 would look better?

NOTE: That blue chair in the corner is going to have a smaller Faux fur pelt under it and will overlso the area rug, with either size i get.

i have attached two pics. One pic of the current rug and another adding blankets similar in color to the rug, to attempt to show how it would look bigger.

Currently i have rug sitting as follows: about 1/3 under side curve part of couch, about 3/4s under the couch on the back longer part, and then it sticks out about 6 inches on The side near fireplace.

I can’t center the couch or the rug on my tv console which is partly why I’m throw off. With the way the room is, the couch and rug would be pulled to far back into then walk way to get to the back doors.

Also, i have no idea how far away the rug should be from the console.

Sooo Many questions haha - feedback greatly appreciated!

Comments (299)

• Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Whoops wrong picture ☝ but there is no swag hanging on chandelier
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Hey - nice warm-toned rug lifts the area! and repeats warm of wood fp. .. so not that it matters, but I like! me happy....

the leather chair's rip has been repaired or I need an eye exam..

• Related Discussions

under rug heating mats

Q

Comments (3)
    Oops, I just noticed all the typos in my last post. Sorry for that! I had an 8x10 for the room and a smaller one under my desk. I did not have another source for heat in the room, but I live in the SF Bay Area. It does not get very cold here. I used them under flat weave wool rugs with the recommended pad thickness - I think 1/4". The floors were perfect for me when I walked around in my socks - warm, but not too hot. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.
    ...See More

Question: which size blinds to order?...windows different sizes

Q

Comments (4)
    Can you get multiple shades on a single headrail? I was going to go bamboo and had the same issue. My windows were just over 70" wide and I was advised not to go with a single wide blind. We'd need ours lined (I see neighbors, so you might too?) and apparently they get ungodly heavy at that width. I didn't want completely separate shades, though, because they're so hard to line up and end up looking piecemeal (IMO). I have a pic of individual pane shades I can post of it would help (I'll have to pull it off my phone rq). I ended up going with shutter blinds (extra wide slat horixontal blinds), multiple blinds on a single headrail. It looks cohesive, but each blind is very manageable, and I like that I can raise/lower them independently.
    ...See More

Size of rug pad for large rug? ( 9 x 13)

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks - the thickness of the rug (pile) is supposedly 1/2" and the pad is 1/4". They recommended against 1/2" (which I also think seems very high." It's a combination of rubber and padding.
    ...See More

Help deciding which“size” & which color scheme gallery wall to create!

Q

Comments (11)
    I have a gallery wall because I have too much art to display any other way. It is much more eclectic than any of the above inspiration pics, as it includes photos, paintings, wood-block prints, and a wood-burned piece, in a variety of colors and sizes (from 4"x4" to 30"x36"). There are white, wood, black, and gold frames. I laid everything out digitally before hanging, and what I found was that the key was balance. My two white frames are at opposite ends of the display, wood frames are scattered throughout, etc. I tried to balance colors as well, so for example red is scattered throughout. You want to balance the visual weight of things, which can be affected by the composition, color, and the presence of a mat. It's definitely harder to make a gallery wall work when you have a mix of pieces. And I'm sure some people would think my wall is too chaotic, but it pleases me.
    ...See More
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Minor maybe, but flower art is very white, and tv console more cream.

• Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Alright peeps, if your still with me check these edits and tell me what your like! Thanks so much for all the feedback, extra shout out to Flo who has gone the extra mile

Each pic has a couple different edits.

1️⃣ nesting table or some poufs? If i do poufs I won’t keep the current white pouf by the chair. I like that poufs can be easily moved and offer more seats but I’m thinking nesting tables ground the space better? Pouts are fairly Large, i saw them today at home Goods. If i go with tables Can i do the ones with gold or need to do wood? The wood owes i found today as well. what size am i looking at for these things?

2️⃣ can i hang some sort of planter in corner behind blue chair, if not what do you suggest?

3️⃣ art or mirror? If i do art, can i do this art with gold and not orange?

4️⃣ chandelier: new shape needed or globe works? If globe works I’m tempted to paint my current silver one like the one edited - Black and gold

5️⃣ are my sconces ok? I need new sconces for my stairway that is just to the right of this room. So i could move them there. Or maybe for cohesiveness they should all be same? You can see two chandeliers and two sets of scones from my kitchen.

OTHER THINGS: too much stuff on my tv console, can’t decide if that Fowler art should go on each side (i would paint the white wood frames something darker). Got rid of light above tv in edit. The plant will be a tree not a plant on a a table. I some different need pillows and throws etc
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

If you go with a strong look chandelier like the 'ring' -- a more strong attention-getting art would work well, imo.... like the blue. With railings around, I might prefer the 'ring' since they resemble each other... but it's dark, so is there any other just to see....

• everdebz
    6 years ago

After midnight, so I didn't read any... just photo...

• imhofan
    6 years ago

Cassi, The "swag" of your chandelier I was referring to is from your picture of:

It appears your light is hanging from a hook to the right of the light box:

This is not helping the balance of your room.

Re: your last post.

1. Yes, as I recommended earlier; you can change the finish of your chandelier. Do not just paint it; I would strive for a rubbed look/ black and java over the silver w/touch of gold. I would not spend much of your budget on a new hanging fixture.

2. Sconces. YES, REPLACE. A larger sconce with less glass would fit better on the FP wall.

3. Art, no mirror over FP. The navy and gold is fine.

4. Coffee table: NO poufs. Small metal/glass or wood, nesting or other.

5. NO hanging plants. No pouf, no faux sheepskin rug. Floor lamp and the small metal drum table to the RIGHT of the chair will add enough to this corner.

6. Accessories: I'd remove all and add slowly as the last step in room decor.

7. Perhaps the floral prints could move to a hall upstairs or bedroom?

• Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks IMHOFAN! Of coarse if have follow up questions haha.

I thought swag was those Little diamond things people hang from chandeliers. Anyway I’m not sure what your suggesting? If it’s not centered with the hook, it falls over the couch instead of the middle of that room. 1️⃣ do you think some oil rubbed and some gold (like the one i posted) or all oil rubbed? And i feel like maybe that cord holding it is weird without a chain... i didn’t bug me a ton now cause it gray and the chandelier is silver. But perhaps i need add a black chain? 2️⃣ give me some ideas on sconces ☺️ and do the ones on the upstairs stair way hall nearby need to be the same? 3️⃣ that’s my fav art so far, i love some gold! The the mirrors are just so much cheaper haha 4️⃣so i can’t go wrong with any finish on the nesting tables? Gold legs would be ok? 5️⃣ i already removed the white fur. ✔️The white ottoman should go too? I love Moroccan stitching. Maybe it can chill by foot of fire place? i found same one in a leather that may better suit my room (attached). Also i moved the lamp from that corner cause everyone kept telling me it was wrong Style and fighting sconces. But maybe it would be ok now that I’ve moved the chair forward. It would make my eye happy to bring it back have something taller behind the chair. What do you suggest? 6️⃣ im Putting a gallery Wall Of Family pictures on staircase (all in same frames) so the art can maybe go in my entry or front living room.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Yikes! Chill girl! First, the junction box in the ceiling for your room is centered and your fixture should hang from there. A two tier chandelier would be ideal but don’t think your budget can handle. Dark finish would be best. No hanging things in corner with chair. Eyes need places to rest. Art over fireplace you can get some gold but that art is too modern. Something a bit less wild. No poufs. A couple of cube tables with black or dark metal or a couple small rounds. Have you ever thought about painting your railings black?
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    FLO that art you attached i have saved as my fav! I just wasn’t sure if the other blue in it was a party foul to my room. If it’s not I’m getting it! ✔️

Cubes or nesting tables is a darker finish, got it! ✔️ Do those wood one i edited in work or the wood is too busy? Those are local

Sconces ok? and what’s your thoughts on the neighboring sconces ok stair case - need to be same?

So the chandelier - They didn’t take into account that overhang part. So it’s actually hung center to the ceiling but not the actual room, if that makes sense..... So it would not hang center to fireplace but instead over back of Couch, on one side of fire place. I attached some two tiers i like in my budget i wouldn’t leave the glass Covers on the one.

I still feel like i need something tall behind chair or in that corner (blanket ladder - although that’s not really my style, or shelf or something) but i won’t hang the planters. I gotta laugh that my brain can’t figure this out. Thanks heavens for you and houzz!

Oh and YES i will be pairing the railings black hooray my brain got one thing right haha. I’m putting up a gallery wall of family pics. I have the same white frames in different sizes (like the ones the flower is in) but I’m wondering if they should be the black frame ones
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Light options. Or i will just paint my current till i can get
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Whoops got cut off. Till i can get an expansive one. Here are two more. Not two teir but 35 in diameter so big. I would need the paint the yellow ish holders on the one
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I think the Laluz goes well and is of more modern look of breakfast chandy.
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yeah - Flo thats my fav one of all those choices and a great Price! But could i use round bulbs? And do i paint the cylinders the gold of chandelier or all black is dandy? Also What are your thoughts in sconces? And on a new note, my gallery frames for staircase - is a black frame better than white?
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    New edit! Even painted my railings black :) just need to figure out the sconces (if they are workable or can move neighboring stair). I looooove this art but it is listed as teal so not sure what rhe real colors are
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I really like this one too (similar) and it’s not real. BUT it’s only 40 x 30. Other is 47 x 35. https://www.worldmarket.com/product/"blue+and+gold+abstract"+by+liz+jardine.do#customerReviews
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Black / charcoal / iron-black railings is looking serious now....

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Link to world market didn’t work. Can you post screen shot of art?
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    But only 30 X 40. Current Mirror 26 x 44. My friend says she could paint over the teal of the dinorah one if it turns out it’s bright. Does that sounds like a crazy idea? Ha. Also trying to decide if i should paint this chandelier black or get the other. Does globe flow with design and drum light above breakfast table?
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    (With either chandelier in going to add a black chain)
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    (And i will do a full black chain - whether i paint this one or get new)
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I wish the art from world market was taller. But might be worth a try. I think if you paint railings, I would do a deep gray rather than pure black. It will look softer. But much better than the current white. At some point it would be great to replace with modern cable system. As to over painting art, it depends on the piece. If there is a sealing coat of some type that won’t work. Also, once you mess with it you do “own it”. Lol.
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Such a bummer about world market size huh! Could i set it on something to make it taller. Ha! I will order the dinorah one and just see how it looks in real life. Any suggests on a gray paint color for railings? also do i get matte or satin or what? Also for spray painting the chandelier is there’s brand and sheen you suggest?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Satin finish paint for railing. I have to look for good color. Looking forward to seeing that painting!
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Any suggestions for painting the chandelier (sheen, brand etc). Or that idea all together sounds awful haha. The two tier is a great deal but i like my globe IF it glows with my breakfast light. If not my breakfast light has priority.
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Flo I’m trying to find int be feed how tall you said to have tree. It was sipped To be taller than... either the mantel or fireplace wood entirely
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

The plant needs to be tall enough to be seen above furnishings, so around the height of the top of the fireplace would be fine. Wouldn't go too much shorter, or it won't be visible. As to your chandelier, I would try black rub and buff first. Spray painting small round elements like on your chandelier is tough. With rub and buff (you can get from Amazon in a bunch of colors) I would get black and a "champagne" tone. Then you could do a bit of highlighting with the champagne which would speak to your breakfast light. I would hold off on painting the railing until you understand what your light finish will be.

• Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Flo you are a waterfall of knowledge! This Rubb and buff stuff looks genius! Spray painting is also messy, so I’m Excited about this! Are you saying i should have some Pieces be the champagne color (for example, the flutes of lights) or just “distress” it here and there all Over, after the black? Maybe i can use this stuff on that teal part of art haha. I seriously can’t find anything i Love except the dinora or the “too short” Liz jardine (world market)
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

It is so easy to use the rub and buff. You can try out some ideas and see what you come up with.

• Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m gonna order this week! Any of these work for coffee table? The gold legs ones are supposedly more Of a champagne gold color. But i know Dark was key so the mirrors on that maybe not so good anyway. All very affordable
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Or these are local. That’s my 6 yes old hand cause i didn’t have a measuring tape
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Alright friends who are still with me on this journey..... the art (Dinorah) and fiddle fig tree (six foot) have been ordered as well as the black and antique gold paint for my chandelier! And i will be sure to add a black chain to chandelier as well. ********************

I need suggestions on knobs for my console. Not sure if i go black or gold. I was thinking something a little more modern? ********************

And finally, i still need coffee table help. I’m still a little baffled by how big i actually need to go to look “right” but how small i can get away with so they fit better with the reclining seats. ********************

I like 1 and 2 BUT the big one may be too wide (26 inches) AND the wood is actually wood veneer which i think looks cheap.... so would the glass one work? #3- maybe not a good idea to throw in another metallic and perhaps to “thick” with the solid bottom? (also 19 inches in height, couch is 18). #4, i would paint black or maybe black top with gold bottom, those are a better size for fitting with recliners, 22 inches and 18 inches. But then I’m wondering if I’m going to have too many circles? Circle chandelier, circle sconces , circle pouf, circle tables? I posted the room again too (but I’m using be globe chandelier). Your opinions are appreciated!********************

PS - should this be going on a new feed? Since I’ve streeted so far from just asking about rug size haha
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Why not a new thread - after a new photo of new items... :)

• Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Everdebz, my other thread “is it worth 100 bucks” only has like 10 comments and my most recent post has pics. That may be easier to comment on then this thread if 300 comments hehe. FLO girl
    Where you at!? Switch in over to that thread if this one is too long ♀️
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Cassi, I'll post these on your old thread.... thought of your fp and room... :)

Annex Victorian · More Info

Annex Victorian · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/annex-victorian-eclectic-bedroom-toronto-phvw-vp~43161404

• everdebz
    6 years ago

... and they repeated round detailing of dresser.... see the globes somewhat like yours?!

• Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    For any of you still with me, Here’s the progress so far! Painted chandelier, light above tv gone, art by fireplace gone, new large art on FB and one layer of hammered paint on some of the rails. Area Rug will Finally be here Tuesday and then I’ll figure out pillows and other decor (and if i need to time down the turquoise in my art). Suggestions welcome!
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh and the sticks everyone hates so much aren’t staying there lol, i need a tree. Note: the body on the couch is my husband alive and well haha
  • Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Progress! But Guys I’m having a chair struggle! I had that short blue one (in first pic) but i said see ya later... I felt it was too short. Originally i was just going to get a taller navy blue (like the one in Pics) but now i kinda feel like i want something lighter and neutral (like the other chair pic). But will the light one disappear in that corner? or the dark frame will save it? For reference the original blue chair was 32 tall and this other blue is 40, the neural One is 36 tall. Also, what are your feelings on the white pouf?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Wow! You painted the chandelier and the railings! That looks so much better and updated. The tall back blue chair would be great. But the floor lamp would not work with it. The chair is wonderful contemporary look and works with the painting, and rug but not that floor lamp. Too industrial for the more chic look you have going. You need the contrast of the blue chair with your wall color and to bring that corner alive. Blue chair it is! Good going!

• artsyphartsy_home_maker
    6 years ago

Black painted chandelier and railings really enhance the look!

I agree, great job!!!!

• Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    FLOOOOOO happy to “see” you most of this started because of you and your fabulous mind. The rails turned out great, we used a hammered paint that is black by really it’s more like charcoal. Used the Rubb and buff on the light (in black and gold) and i love it! Still need a tree and such but it’s coming along! Thanks again for your help!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    So happy you are having good luck with my suggestions. I can’t get over how those rather ugly railings have been transformed ! Great job.
  • Nap z7b (TN)
    5 years ago
    following
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Did you decide on a chair? The art you had on each side of the fireplace would look great in your kitchen eating area if you have a wall they would work on...loved the white frame and mat with the blue flower...I would suggest a neutral chair in a more modern or mid century style to mix up your eclectic style more.....,,instead of navy blue for your family room space....that way the art will be more of a focal pointe...love the art...for this space I would reccomened a very oversized floor lamp and remove the twigs (the 80’s want them back)!:)))

just joking about the twigs but they really do nothing for the young eclectic style you have...the room could use some touches of black for sure..I think every room needs a bit of black....if possible I would change up your sconces and add very low wattage lights...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Just having some fun...

• Cassi Cook
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Home Interiors with Ease (one day this is going to actually tag people haha) everything you posted is spot on! LOVE! The twigs were hated by everyone from the start heehee it was so funny! I had one on each side of tv but got rid of them. The one in The corner was just til a got a fiddle tree.

Here is an update, I did in fact do a neutral chair, and i agree, the side art fought with the large art, I’ll find a place for them somewhere eventually I’m still messing with the kind of tree i want, i actually have a more narrow one where the leave start lower - since this pic. i need more pillows (loooove the ones you posted). And a coffee table but I’m hung up on that cause usage wise, we don’t need it. We have three recliners on the couch (so that makes it hard to fit a table) and my kids love to dance around in that open space.

I’m going to replace scones, those once you put up are maybe a a tad too modern for me and I’m trying to play of fireplace a little. these May be too crazy but below are some big scones i like. Oh and i def need a new floor lamp I’ve just been waiting to figure out scones.

Love getting comments here. And been fun to see this change from the beginning!
  • Denita
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Great selections Cassi. I love how your room is coming together. That area rug is just perfect. The chair works perfectly. The room looks more spacious, and beautiful, to me :) You all have worked together to find just the right pieces and colors. Love it!