SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_fancher72

Advice for issue with wood stove idea

Jeff Fancher
6 years ago

My wife and I purchased a large colonial with a master suite addition 2 years ago, and after living in it have considered adding a small wood stove to our master suite for a few reasons. The addition is on a slab (whereas the rest of the house is over an insulated basement), and our home is reliant on electric baseboard heat.

I'm very much a DIY type person, and while I didn't really concern myself with this when I bought the house...the crawl space above the master suite addition does not have any access. Therefore, I don't really know what I should do when considering routing of exhaust. The ideal solution for the space would be vertical exhaust in a corner farthest from where the addition is adjacent to the main structure. But without crawl space access, I don't know how to go about dealing with that.

Any ideas? We have a closet where I could certainly option "adding" crawl space access, but it would be very tight as it's located near the lowest portion of a fairly low pitch roof. Should I just route the exhaust out of the wall with 90 degree elbows, going vertical again on the exterior?

Comments (13)