SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aawood22

Exterior options?

Allison M
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We're working through the exterior of the house and I'm hoping to get some thoughts on a couple things I'm hung up on. I'm attaching two exteriors below. In general, I'm happy with it, however the blank space between the windows on the second floor is bugging me. We originally had windows there, however they didn't quite look right. It looked awkward to center them over the downstairs window and also awkward to center them between the other windows. We took them out (it's in the master closet, so I'm ok not having windows), but now it just looks like a vast amount of siding to me. My designer is sure that taking the windows out is the right move and doesn't think I'll even notice it when the house is completed. We're going to add corbels or rafter tails under the roofline and have thicker trim around the windows, so she thinks there will be enough other stuff going on. My builder suggested possibly adding some decorative trim (like in photo 2), but that doesn't look right to me either - although possibly changing/moving it would make it better.

I'd like to get some thoughts here. Does it look awkward with nothing or have I just been staring at it for too long? Any suggestions for how to fix it? Also, shakes or board and batten on the top?

Thanks!

Comments (20)