SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zen_man

It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 47

zen_man
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone,

Welcome to this ongoing message thread. Once again, the previous part of this continuing series, It can be fun to breed your own zinnias - Part 46 has exceeded 100 messages, with a lot of picture content and a lot of good text content, and that could make the thread slow to load for some users (including me), so we are continuing the series here for yet another fresh start.

The same guidelines apply here. Anything remotely related to zinnias is fine. (Or plant breeding in general, or feral cats or precocious cats or locusts or pet snails or chupacabras or book comments or whatever.)

My indoor zinnia project continues. This picture was taken a few minutes ago, and it shows the current state of my South Zinnia Garden.

We have several inches of snow on the ground. That light pole actually leans a bit -- I held the camera reasonably level. Most of those trees at the south edge of the garden are "weed trees" and I will do some extensive pruning on them this Spring. The compost pile on the right is less than half full, but it will fill with grass clippings this Spring. That red-orange object is a recycle box. I use it to transport material to the compost pile. I don't compost zinnia material, because I don't want to introduce zinnia diseases into the pile. Zinnia refuse goes in contractor bags, along with other trash, to our commercial landfill.

I really enjoy growing and fussing with zinnias indoors while it is Winter outside. I have heard that the bright fluorescent lights can actually contribute to a good psychological mood in the Winter, and they seem to for me. I think the zinnias also help with that.

I look forward to your new or continued participation with comments and
photos (and possibly even videos) here in this message thread.

ZM

Comments (115)