SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lh69017

Need help with bare root tree seedlings...

Logan
6 years ago

I received 12 tree seedlings and was supposed to plant them outside while still dormant, within 5 days of arrival...

Well, it's been 8 weeks and they are still in the package they arrived in, still holding water in the moisture gel they were shipped in and have started to bud and sprout leaves.

They actually look happy, growing healthy green leaves and branches - but I know they can't be comfortable in that little plastic bag with wet gel all cramped together...

They are relatively small still, 16-24" in length and a few are thinner than a pencil.

I'm in zone 7, and it's winter now. Especially after that last week of single digits and heavy snow, I don't think transplanting now is wise. Especially since these seedlings are no longer dormant; have woken up in my house and think it's spring!

All 12 seedlings are still wrapped together in a single pod.

I'm thinking I should separate each one into it's own pot and just grow them through the winter inside until spring then try to transplant them outside once the soil is warm.

Is this the right thing to do here?

I have in the bundle Sargent Crabapples, American Redbuds, Washington Hawthorns, White Dogwoods and Crapemyrtles. Just in case I should treat some differently than others...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)