SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Do you ever miss your previous home?

DYH
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Sigh. Smile. Cry. Bittersweet.

The realtor's photos of the house my late husband and I built in 2005 and I sold in 2015, a year after his death, are still on the web.

Looking through the photos, I have so many mixed emotions for so many reasons. While it was wise for me to downsize and move near my son, I miss my former home.

We designed the interior floor plan and everything ourselves, with my husband choosing the color scheme. So many good memories of the ten years spent there.

The gardens and outdoor spaces were my designs and my hard work, with my husband helping with the heavy work. I spent hours everyday, from spring to fall, working in those gardens.

It was heavenly, but I don't know if I have it in me to work so hard on the outdoors at my downsize, but I miss the ambiance, the flowers, the places to sit.

Comments (46)

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

I don't but if your previous home had been mine I'm sure I would! It's perfectly lovely and I can see why you miss it especially since you put your heart and soul into it. I loved where I last lived for 23 years and I have many fond memories but I'm very happy where I am now. We compromised a lot when we bought our last house in terms of the house itself because we loved the location on a 1.5 acre wooded lot in a wonderful community very close to the major metro city.

DYH thanked 3katz4me
  • bpath
    6 years ago

I miss every home I've ever owned. I'll miss this one when we move, someday.

DYH thanked bpath
  • Related Discussions

Does Your Roomba Ever Go Missing?

Q

Comments (8)
    Pecanpie and Chefkev, I'm LMAO at your responses. Dadoes, thank you for the info. I don't know what "max" clean is. I've only found "spot" clean and "clean." I'll try rereading the directions, but this isn't ringing a bell. What model do you have? I have read there is a very powerful model and I would, frankly, like to test it, as I'm not sure the one I have can stand up to my beasts and floors for very long. I did manage to find Roomba's latest hiding place today, so at least that mystery is solved. The dogs and cat seem to accept Roomba's presence now, like one more foundling pet in the house. DH, who is a very bright guy with a bunch of degrees, seems utterly charmed and enthralled by this thing. It's the weirdest thing. . .
    ...See More

Do you ever worry that you think about your new build so much...

Q

Comments (26)
    Same here with the frustration and depression to be moved in but not really "finished". And knowing that will actually take years since we did all the work ourselves and I'm totally burned out. And yet I've been doing this for a year now and I struggle to turn the "builder's brain" off. That being said, the SO proposed this spring when we moved in, so I've swapped "builder's brain" for "marriage planning" and suddenly I have a whole new hobby to keep me busy. I of course, feared that I was replacing one obsession with another and post-wedding would likely find myself doubly-depressed...only to realize that we're gung-ho to start our family so we're pretty much going to never stop and just be bored again in our lives. Which is kinda terrifying too.
    ...See More

Have you ever had an intruder in your home?

Q

Comments (25)
    Years ago when i lived in NJ,someone came into my apt about 3 in the morning.Just my baby son and i were home.DH was in the Marines and overseas at the time.I was also pregnant about 6 mos. DS and i were both asleep,and i woke up when i heard someone open the door and come down the hall.I was thinking DH came home early,til i heard them flip the light switch in DS's room,and DH knew that i didn't have his light set up to come on with that switch.I jumped up in bed,and as i did so this big man came into the room.I glanced around for something to defend myself ,but there was nothing. So in a very calm voice,i said who are you and what are you doing in here!! He said nothing,just stood there.I said you better get the hell out of here right now,i'm calling the cops.He started walking back down the hall and i then noticed that he hadn't closed the door when he came in,and his keys were still in the lock.As he got towards the door i went to the phone in the kitchen as the hall forked off into a "Y",to the kitchen or the front door He went out the door,and i went out right behind him and started banging on the next door neighbors door.They opened the door and i fell apart. Neighbors DH took off bare feet and all after the guy,but he had dissappeared into the night. They told me they heard me talking and they also thought DH had come home.They called my sister and my BIL came and got me and ds and took us to their home for the rest of the weekend. The next morning my BIL took me to the housing office and reported,they were sooooooooooooooo unconcerned,said,oh it was probably just the old tenent,and he forgot he didn't live there anymore.SO BIL told them to change the locks before i came home and add a chain lock or another kind of lock as well.They had the nerve to tell him they couldn't add a second lock,their policy.BIL told him then he would,because it wasn't against his policy. I was and still am amazed at how calm i stayed while he was in my apt.But it scared the crap out of me. Kathi
    ...See More

Have you ever received a letter from buyer when selling your home?

Q

Comments (64)
    So glad to see you're under contract TR, hopefully closing will go smoothly and you'll have the relief that not only did the house sell, but to someone so appreciative of it. When we were looking for a house and viewed the one we purchased, the original owners were here, an elderly couple who bought it when the subdivision was just built. It was '09 and a buyer's market mostly (Texas didn't have the huge highs and lows other regions did but still, this was a nice house that had been on the market for 6 months or so). They were selling to move into assisted care living as the elderly gentlemen had several medical problems, they showed us around the place, introduced us to 'Christine' the water fountain out back that "was staying", my hub liked them as much as the house, we made an offer very close to asking and they accepted. We talked on the phone several times, came over twice, for inspection and then to hash out when they were moving (they didn't want to leave before closing), other details of the house they wanted us to know, everything very friendly. The Mrs. had given me her e-mail address so we could stay in touch, I did sent her an email after we'd gotten moved in, no reply, I called her cell, no call back. Then problems with the house started occurring (rapidly), the sanitary line needed replacing, doors started sticking and the foundation needed levelling, the whole back fence line that looked perfectly fine until you put your hand on it and it bent backwards needed replacing, the first two years here were an endless series of expensive things that had to be done. We bought it as a forever house and it likely will be, we've sunk so much money into it it probably has to be. lol I'm getting ready to paint my computer room a rosy coral, nothing bad has happened in maybe a year so I feel like celebrating. :)
    ...See More
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I missed my old home much more at first. I missed my exercise room but mostly I missed the country setting. I loved walking in the evening with my Rottweiler when it was dark and I had my own sky. Everything was calm and I could smell the dirt road. You could hear the wildlife skittering about. I really miss that part. However, since I left they have paved all the roads and there is a new build across the street. So, at this point I'm missing nothing. My down size house is close to everything and I'm liking the convenience.

DYH thanked just_terrilynn
  • runninginplace
    6 years ago

I'd miss that house too! It's beautiful and so are your grounds and garden. And of course the house is a link to your late husband so that's an incredibly emotional connection that will never go away I'm sure. I am very sorry for your loss.

I think sometimes I will miss my current house because it's finally *done*. Every project I dreamed of doing here is finished, after 30 years of ownership:). I love my kitchen, my bathrooms, the floors, the paint on the walls etc. However I love our new/next house too and since we are now 60 and 64 YO we will NOT take 30 years to get this one done to our taste LOL.

DYH thanked runninginplace
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I took the link out, I had second-thoughts! Even though I moved to a different city, I must consider the current owners.

• mojomom
    6 years ago

I can see why you miss your home. It is lovely! That said, your decision to downsize was wise. Having seen what happens when someone, usually an aging widow, held onto larger home with lovely gardens too long beyond their physical ability to maintain, it can turn a lovely home into a burden or worse a sadly deteriorating ghost of its former self. Enjoy your memories! There is nothing wrong with taking a mental walk through from time to time either. While I am loving our new home and don't really miss our old, I do enjoy the memories there and often mentally walk from room to room.

DYH thanked mojomom
  • sushipup1
    6 years ago

We sold our home in February 2016 and moved across the country. DH was retiring and we had no family left in the area. Our son was back here, so we moved to be close. We had been there almost exactly 18 years, and had done a major remodel in 2002. So I understand about all the personal touches. But even tho this new house doesn't match up in some ways, it is better in others.

Right now, I miss the mild Monterey weather!

DYH thanked sushipup1
  • lascatx
    6 years ago

I miss things about 2 of my former homes -- not so much two others we were in only a couple of years. My first home, before I was married, was gently updated by the PO and all mine. It was a 1920s cottage with charm throughout and I loved it. It broke my heart to drive by it about 7 years ago and see the garage nearly falling dawn and the house and garden in great need of TLC. That kind of cured me on that one. I have driven past it once and the garage has been torn down and significant remodeling done. I hope they retained the character inside, but I suspect it was made "new" by HGTV standards that might not fit the house at all. The other was our first owned home as a couple in CA. I miss the views and the fact that we had fruit trees and a few ornamentals in the garden that just aren't the same here, but overall, our current home is the one I will judge all others by.

DYH thanked lascatx
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

My answer would be no. Our previous home was an apartment in one of the buildings that DH already owned. This house is our first house together.

Can you make copies of the pictures displayed in the listing? Not sure if this will help or not but you might like to have a "record" of that special house since our memory fades with time.

DYH thanked eld6161
  • daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

(((((Dyhgarden))))) not sure if you really need them but just felt like hugs were appropriate. I have only been in one home that we owned and really made our own. I hope I am lucky enough to stay here until I physically can’t (not very good with change).

DYH thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • lobby68
    6 years ago

I've only owned two homes. Our first starter home was a new build we bought on my 24th birthday! We moved 5 years later into the home we have now and have been in for 20 years. I don't miss the first at all. And now that this home is just about the way we want it...I'm getting a wunderlust and thinking about moving. This house I would miss, though, even though I'm *almost* ready to think about a change. If I could pick up this house and take it with me, I would. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but it has some great qualities. I'm just tired of the town we live in.

DYH thanked lobby68
  • llitm
    6 years ago

Don't miss the last house but will miss this one when we leave. We designed it ourselves, were very involved in the building process, and absolutely love everything about it. It will be difficult to leave but the day will inevitably come.

DYH thanked llitm
  • Joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

This is very timely for me. I already miss the house we live in now and have for 33 years...over half our lives! We are moving this summer about four hours away to an over 55 community. I cry every day when i think about moving, even though I’m the one who’s talked about it for several years. It hit me like a ton of bricks after we signed the contract. My emotional reaction is also strange because i’ve always had a love/hate relationship with this cheap builder house and have had to redo most of it. So many memories here too.

DYH thanked Joaniepoanie
  • cmm1964
    6 years ago

I moved four years ago over 1000 miles away from previous location as soon as my kids graduated high school/college the same year. I miss the 10plus acre lot and quiet but don’t miss the cold and snow. What I do miss is the family unit that we had in the house. I guess anywhere can be my home when my children are with me.

DYH thanked cmm1964
  • 4kids4us
    6 years ago

Some day I know I will! My parents still live in my childhood home They've been there over 50 years. It's one level, so they will stay there until either one of them passes away or it becomes too much maintenance for them. They live halfway between me and my brother so the location is perfect. My sister lives 6 hours away, so there is space for her family when they come to visit.

Dh and I have lived in our home over 20 years. Aside for about three months in an apartment when we first married, this is the only home we've had together. I don't love this house and won't really miss the house itself, I will miss neighborhood, and the place that will hold all the memories of raising our kids here.

Wait, I take that back - I do miss one home. It wasn't actually MINE, but dh and two of his shipmates rented a house in Hawaii when he was stationed there. We were dating at the time. I moved out there for the last six months of his living there but rented a room in a woman's home nearby. She was a bit strange/crazy so I spent most of my time at dh's place. Huge house, two blocks from the beach with a pool in the backyard in a hoity-toity suburb of Honolulu. THAT house brings back fond memories - lots of entertaining with all of our Navy friends. And when I left there, dh and I were engaged.

DYH thanked 4kids4us
  • Bonnie
    6 years ago

No I never miss our previous home, which we bought as newlyweds and brought our first two children home to. But our current home, oh just the thought of leaving it makes me sad!!! We have lived here for over 30 years and really love our home, our neighborhood and our town. So many memories and such a strong support system make this an almost ideal place to "age in place." I recently read that 85% of today's baby-boomer retirees stay in their current home due to the ties to their neighborhood/community. This is HOME. This is where our children come for holidays, special celebrations and such. This is where our friends and loyal neighbors are.

DH is retired and I am retiring in June. The other day during a snow storm (yes, that is the less than ideal part!) we talked about how this house and yard will be too much maintenance for us "some day" and DH made me laugh when he said we've got at least another 10 years here. After that, who knows? Maybe a small ranch or a condo. The thought of selling this house and then having remorse is something I know will happen as long as I am of my right mind.

We have a second home on Cape Cod, where many people retire to. Nope, no interest in that. I'm a city girl at heart!

DYH thanked Bonnie
  • Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I don’t miss any of my former homes mostly because I never lived in any of them longer than five years. We’ve been in this house for 13 years and while I enjoy it, I’m not in love with it. I can see how it would be hard to let go of a house that you designed and built or massively renovated. I’ve already started looking for a smaller house to be our next and perhaps final move.

DYH thanked Fun2BHere
  • maire_cate
    6 years ago

I've been asked that question a few times lately. Like Joanie will be doing this summer we downsized 3 months ago. We only moved 8 miles so we really don't consider it a relocation, we shop at the same stores and have the same physicians and we're still within 20 minutes of one son and 40 minutes of the other two.

We had been in our home for 34 years, my youngest was born there and the other two were preschoolers. We remodeled, renovated, enlarged, added a pool and a porch and extensive landscaping.

I do miss it, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I found that it was fairly easy to move on when you realize that the house had become too much - too large (5 BR, 4 baths) too much work and worry. We didn't do the maintenance, we had contractors who serviced the pool, cleaned the house, mowed and cleaned up the yard, maintained the landscaping. The cost wasn't an issue either but we still had to stay on top of everything - and when we were at our vacation home I worried about what was happening (or not) at our primary home.

The other factor that helped enormously is that we bought a 13 year old home and completely re-did it from top to bottom. We put in all the things that we wanted - a no threshold shower, heated bathroom floors, new wood flooring on the first floor, custom kitchen with high end appliances, new gas fireplace with bluestone surround etc. DH calls it our 'little gem' . His comment was if we were giving up the very private home that we loved then we would do whatever we could to make this new place special. We went from nearly 4000 sq. ft. to 2200 sq.ft, from 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms to 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on the first floor plus a second floor with another bedroom, bath and large loft. The kitchen is open to the family room and we still have a living room and dining room. We bought a home in the rear of the development to maximize our privacy since the lots are close together. There is a conservation easement on the woods and stream behind the house and we're looking forward to sitting on our bluestone patio and enjoying the woods and wildlife when the weather is warmer.

Since it's an over 55 community the home was already designed with wider doorways, lowered wall switches that you can easily reach while standing but also if you were in a wheelchair. I love the convenience of what is essentially one floor living. DH did put his office on the second floor but if the stairs become a difficulty he could bring it down to the first floor guest room or have a chair lift installed on the staircase. I love the convenience of one floor living but I also appreciate the fact that the house is large enough that DH and have our own separate areas. I'm not sure how easily we would adjust to a small home or condo.

While downsizing to save money was the least important factor in this decision it is a nice bonus to know that my real estate taxes are only one third of what we were paying, the utilities are laughably low and yard care and snow removal are part of community fee along with a pool, gym and clubhouse

I'm glad that I have so many photographs to help preserve the memories of our family through the years because that's what is the most dear to me.

Maire

DYH thanked maire_cate
  • nhbaskets
    6 years ago

The house I was most attached to was the one I grew up in. My parents built it and lived there for 50 years. When my Dad passed and my Mom had a stroke, it was left for us kids to sell. I really considered buying it, but in the end opted not to. We invested the money into our own existing home and remodeled the entire first floor. We were in that house for 19 years. I do miss my kitchen, it had everything I wanted at the time, but don't miss the house as a whole. I will say I miss the money we sunk into it, though!

We've been in our current home 3 1/2 years. I don't plan on moving again and really do love this house. If I do move, I'm hoping I'll not realize it and be in a perpetual state of bliss.

DYH thanked nhbaskets
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

No. I was just in the complex today and I am still glad I sold it when I did. I liked it when I lived there and what I did to it. But when I walked out the door that was it.

When my father sold the house I grew up in, I was a little sad when we were emptying it and when the deal was done. But it could have burnt to the ground after that as far as I was concerned. The memories aren't in the building for me. That's probably odd but that's what it is for me.

DYH thanked palimpsest
  • palimpsest
    6 years ago

What's interesting is that we rented a unit in the same building when I sold and we carried the furniture and things down and set up instead of packing up.

That unit is now for sale and the listing photos show the apartment fully decorated in our furniture--five years after the fact.

DYH thanked palimpsest
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

I miss our last home like I miss a sore thumb! So, no. We loved it while we were there, but our sons grew up and moved out, DH got a different job that required him to travel a lot, and the house was HUGE and sat in the middle of 35 acres. So lots of maintenance for (mostly) me. We, too, downsized and moved 8 miles into town.

Plus, it had electric heat and I HATE electric heat. I could never get warm.

DYH thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • jakabedy
    6 years ago

I miss something about every house I’ve ever owned. They’ve all had a strong architectural style of some kind, and that’s important to me in a home. Our move this summer was for my work (hubby is retired). We briefly considered staying put where we were with me just commuting, but at this wind-down stage of my career I couldn’t see myself taking on an hour+ commute each way by car (1.5 hour+ by train). We also considered keeping our home and purchasing a small condo for me to use during the week in the Job City. We were well on our way down that path when we stumbled across the house we’re in now.

I think what I miss most about our previous home was that it was “done.” The only thing we really had left to do with that house was fix the landscaping in the backyard. The rest was perfect, other than being a bit small and on a busy road. Our current home has a ton of potential, but the list of to-do is very, very long. I’m not sure if we’ll ever get to all of it in the 8-10 years we plan to be here. Heck, I haven’t even posted photos here because although we’re going on six months in the house, it’s still a hodgepodge disaster inside and out.

DYH thanked jakabedy
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

We downsized a year ago yesterday from an antique house built in 1837 to a small cape built in 1938 just three blocks away. I have a lot of photos of the old house, and look through them from time to time. I miss the wood paneled library, the moldings and wainscoting, the high ceilings, and the huge windows. I miss the roomy kitchen, the butlers pantry, and the walk up attic. I miss the seven fireplaces. I miss the acre of gardens I planted over the fifteen years we lived there.

i don’t miss the drafts and heating bills. Don’t miss worrying about the next thing to break down or wear out, or the difficulty of finding tradesmen with the skills to work on an antique.

It has taken me a while to get used to the new house, and there is still a lot to do to make it my own, but I’m making progress. We now have a first floor master bedroom, and the PO did a nice job remodeling the kitchen and master bathroom. There are hardwood floors throughout, a working fireplace, and a more manageable sized garden. I’m impatient for it to be done, but also looking forward to making it a home. I have a lot to be grateful for.

DYH thanked Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • sergeantcuff
    6 years ago

No - the house I grew up in was a wreck, and I never felt settled in the two subsequent places Iived in as a young adult.

I’ve lived in my current house for about 20 years, and there’s some things I like about it, but I’ve struggled to furnish it comfortably.

What I WOULD miss is my garden. I only have a quarter of an acre, but the house sits on a hill and the driveway is in the backyard. So, it appears (from the inside) that the house is surrounded by the landscape. The house is IN the garden. I don’t think we could a similar siting in our price range.

Dyhgarden- your garden design was really, really wonderful. I hope (most) of the joy was in the planning and anticipation of the results. And that you had some time to enjoy it. It IS backbreaking. I have damaged nerves in my arm!

I think it might be interesting to design something on a different property, but I think about all the mature shrubs that couldn’t be replaced, etc. but I suppose we must look forward!

DYH thanked sergeantcuff
  • Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

I miss our first house, even though it was a tiny duplex. We lived there when we adopted our son and I made wonderful friends there. It was a very happy home for us.

I also miss a place we rented for four years. The unit itself was nothing special at all, but the neighborhood was amazing and I think I will always miss it.

And I miss our last house. Another place we had amazing friends. And we put a lot of effort and money into remodeling it and it was lovely.

We have only been in our new place for a year now and I keep reminding myself that it usually takes me about two years to feel truly settled. I don't know that I will ever love this particular house--it is a spec builder's house in a new development. It is quite spacious and nice and we are very fortunate to have a safe, clean, warm, dry place to live. But it's also lacking in character. Even if I don't grow to love the house, I remind myself I can grow to love our community in this place just like I have in other places.

DYH thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • jmck_nc
    6 years ago

dyhgarden, I remember your house well as we sold at the same time in the same town. I was so jealous that your home sold so quickly and for a good price while mine languished! (and we lost $$$) I wish I never bought that house in the first place! I can understand missing your home. After all, you and your husband poured a lot of work and love into that place. The loss of the house is also tied into the loss of your husband...it is understandable to mourn those losses for a long time. Your new home is so lovely and in time you will create memories there to cherish.

DYH thanked jmck_nc
  • gsciencechick
    6 years ago

For maybe a year or two, I missed my former townhouse I owned when I was single. It was small and only had one bathroom, but I had a basement and a loft where the kitties enjoyed their space. Now that I have lived here 10+ years and I moved into DH's home, we have done work and bought furniture together, so it's all good now.

I also missed my last car for nearly a year! I felt like I was driving someone else's car, and I would not pull into parking spaces far enough since the new one was bigger. Unfortunately the car had 150K miles that I drove from new and developed major problems, so it had to go.

DYH thanked gsciencechick
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Funny, I asked DH and we both thought no. We liked the old location better from a convenience POV, but we are in our custom home now on the land we grew up on, so this is as good as it gets...all downhill into the nursing home from here! :)

DYH thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Boopadaboo
    6 years ago

I moved a lot as a kid and the house we lived in the longest was not so nice really (it was OK) so I don't miss it that much. I do think of it when I think of my mom though. she was more about location than house.

I don't miss my prior 3 houses themselves at all, I guess, but I do miss events that happened in the last house so think of it that way fondly (got married in the back yard, brought home my kids from the hospital there, etc) I was a bit sad when we left thinking of my youngest standing in the bay window looking out at the birds and biting on the window frame when he was teething before I could stop him. there were little marks on the windows.

I think I will miss this house. my kids are getting older and I actually love the house itself and the location. I wake up every day thinking how lucky I am despite all the projects I would like to do. I never felt that way before.

DYH thanked Boopadaboo
  • Oakley
    6 years ago

I miss the home I grew up in. I lost count of all the dreams I had about it, with all the nooks and crannies, built-in's, etc. A few years ago some friends and I met at the house where we hung out as teens, and the people there let me go inside. It seemed so much smaller. lol

DYH thanked Oakley
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

That's very nice, saypoint! Do you have the ability/space to plant a new garden?

DYH thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

Breathtaking, saypoint. I love the restraint and symmetry. I've been thinking about this thread but too busy to post... just had to jump in at that photo tho!

DYH thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

Thanks. I had a full acre before, now have 1/3 acre. I’m looking forward to getting out there in the spring to see what I have to work with. The entire yard was torn up last summer for construction and septic projects.

DYH thanked Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • lobby68
    6 years ago

OMG, as a desert dweller, that garden makes me swoon.

DYH thanked lobby68
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

But for that look, smaller is better; you have made a room. I do understand though, that it takes a lot of time to get that feel. In any event, kudos to you, and I am sure, based on your talent, you will create something just as lovely even if quite different.

DYH thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Allison0704
    6 years ago

You're last home and gardens were lovely, dyhgarden, so I know you miss them and spending time there. But "you still have the memories" just doesn't cut it sometimes, does it?

I don't miss our last home, but did cry when the sign was put in the yard. By the time it sold a few months later, I didn't care. So much time and energy was being spent on new home being built and designed from ground up.

We've been here 13 years, and owned lot 2 before that. Currently remodeling our new home and the thought of leaving this house doesn't bother me as much as leaving the lake and mountain ridge view. If I think about it, I would have tears daily. I will miss living out/rural. Miss seeing the wildlife and horses in our neighborhood. The new house is about a mile from where we lived/raised our three children, just over 20 years there. So back to familiar ground.

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

I wish I hadn't missed seeing it. You know anyone that knows the address or general area, can see them on all the real estate web pages. You weren't publishing anything that is not out there already.

It must have been very nice, because your current home is so perfect.

DYH thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • roarah
    6 years ago

I miss my my former houses and apartments, too. Not so much for the homes themselves but for the memories and times gone by that happened in them. Each home I have had represents specific stages of my life. Daughter, student, single young woman, newly wed, new mom, etc. I miss the person I was during those stages I suppose.

I often dream that I found my dream house and sell the one I am in. In the dream,after moving into the new place, I am heart sick with regret. I always sigh a breath of relief when I awake that it was only a dream. So I think initially I will miss the house I am in when or if we move.

DYH thanked roarah
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's so interesting to read the "yes" and "no" responses.

Saypoint -- that's my idea of a dream backyard. I'd love to do that here, but then I get exhausted at the thought of upkeep.

Allison -- we went through our house building together on the forums. I know you'll miss that dreamy location!

• Allison0704
    6 years ago

We had a lot of conversations, didn't we?! Since I'm in paint hunting mode, I looked up that kitchen earlier this week to see the color again.

You've done such a great job on your new home. I wish you many years of happiness and new memories with your family.

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Yes. I miss the better internet connection there. I miss my cell connection, too. Now to use my cell phone I have to step out into the snow on my back deck to make a call.

Otherwise? No.

DYH thanked artemis_ma
  • arkansas girl
    6 years ago

I very much miss my place in Arkansas! It was a dream of mine for many years to live on acreage and out in the wilderness. Living in this deplorable Ohio town makes me miss it that much more! Very much regret moving from Arkansas to Ohio!!!!! I could write a book...sigh....

DYH thanked arkansas girl
  • l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

I hear you DYH. I so much miss my old garden, an eight year labor of love. And I miss my finished basement with my office and all that storage! I cried and cried the day I closed on that house and left. I miss the big old house I grew up in.

SO and I were just talking about this today. I think it depends on how happy you were in the house and how it compares to your present home. I am now living in my parents former home, which I inherited from my mother. I'm here going through her stuff, my stuff and SO's stuff. Dad moved to a condo. While I like the house, (it's lovely and the lot is beautiful) it lacks storage and is on a busy street. I could probably manage those two issues, since the house cost me nothing. But I can't manage the overwhelming sense of sadness I get from living in my mom's house with her things and constantly going through the same motions as she did. SO said that I have to not let it bother me. Not sure how that is going to happen. I do busy myself but when the process of busying myself includes doing the exact things that my late mother did in her exact spot with her implements . . . for some that might be comforting, but for me not so much. I have no desire to get rid of the family heirlooms, but I need a new space. We hope to move someday . . . Only time will tell if we manage to swing it.

DYH thanked l pinkmountain
  • jill302
    6 years ago

Yes, I miss my last home very much, many great memories there. Loved our home that we had truly made ours, it went from a 60’s box to a charming up to date home, an easy sell considering the neighborhood. The remodeled floor plan was perfect for us. Unfortunately the overall neighbor went way downhill and it was feeling much less safe so we moved. Now I have a somewhat new to me home, much higher end in a fabulous neighborhood but I just do not feel a connection with the home. I am sure part of it is that I just have not made it mine. While I expect to do a few things to the house we only plan to stay here about 5 more years so I have had trouble figuring out what changes are financially smart. Last home I expected to be there forever, so If I could afford the change I did it until the last year or so before we moved.

DYH thanked jill302