SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_basler

Do newly propogated plants get Gritty mix too?

Laurie (8A)
6 years ago

I was reading the thread "To Water or not to Water" posted by Chrissy. As it got to the end, people shared their growing set up, and their beautiful plants. As I noticed how small most of your pots are (4 in???), I realized the people who are posting there are probably the most likely to understand my dilemma and how to help me with my disability to understand small Agave, gasteria, Aloe, and etc who have little or no roots. My success has been pretty sad. I don't actually lose a plant very often. I just bring them to the brink of death, and then save them, only to torture them more. Summer goes well, when they are outside.

I am in the Dampest grayest spot in Northwest Washington. Seattle is tropical compared to my zone. I use cactus soil amended with chicken grit, and some small gravel. Some orchid bark sometimes. Have been searching for bark fines, but am going to find a substitute this week and at least have the plants all get the same soil, to make care easier.

So here are some of my questions:

Do newly propagated pups or cuttings get the same gritty mix as their parents, from day one. No baby soil recipe needed?

What is the average size of your pots for plants.

How close do they need to be to the lights. Do tiny plants want to be as close to the grow light as the parent plant, or do they need a little more space for a while.

Do tiny plants (3 to 4" pots) with roots, need a little more water, in small doses than they will when adults. They are not able to be as drought tolerant due to their small pots? Is being dry for a day long enough for their small roots? When you have a pot as tiny as two inches, growing in a warm room under grow lights for 16 hrs and very close to a north window, in the dead of winter, is it probable the plant may want water every day. I am cautious to water that much.

Do you put plants with no roots under lights while rooting, or trying to root?

Will most all your plants need potting up in spring, or are they able to stay in the same pot for a few years?

The variables one can read recommend watering from weekly to monthly to a couple times thru winter. I know it changes, and is not the same for everyone. I would never water my Plants every Sunday. I understand schedules are a terrible idea. But could you comment on what is realistic. Do you really let plants go 3 or 4 weeks or longer under lights? Is it more like weekly. Is the care for them under grow lights much different than your outdoor summer care was?

I hate how long this has turned out, and cut a bunch of it out if you can believe that. Thank you for tolerating this goliath of a thread. Happy growing.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths