SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Gritty mix holding too much moisture here in Florida?

tomncath
14 years ago

Hey Al and JAG,

I have three dwarf citrus that I bear-rooted and potted in 10 gallons each of gritty 1:1:1 mix last November, they were initially shocked due to the time of year I did this but them started perking up. Problem, now that we're starting to go from our dry season to our rainy season the leaves started yellowing and dropping off. I'm in Pinellas County, right off Tampa Bay, surrounded on three sides by water, AND my back yard is 20' off the water, point being I'm in an extremely humid environment even without the frequent rain showers. So, thinking they were drowning I decided to take them out of the gritty mix and into the 5:1:1 mix. Sure enough, even without any rain for five days the mix was way too wet. I had screens at the bottom and the drain holes were not clogged. The only down side I can think of is that I didn't screen the Turface. My question to you guys is have you heard of anyone else here in Florida having this problem with the gritty mix? I'm wondering if due to the high humidity here I could just skip the Turface and go 50/50 grower grit and pine fines. I like the weight of the grit as we occasionally get thunderstorms that will blow a 5:1:1 container over if not well secured.

Tom

Comments (10)