SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smileygreebins

Swiss chalet mish mash

smileygreebins
10 years ago
My brain is now fried - we're trying to modernise the living area of our new home but still keep a chalet feel. We appreciate that pine T&G can look cheap and dated. However we're adverse to white rendered white plaster walls, which is in fairness the clinical look that many homes have in our region of Swissy.
Sigh. We've come to kind of like the timber - its warm and full of character, although the ceilings with the fake(!) beams can feel quite low. The pillar in the end third of the living room is structural and will be costly to remove. However we are looking to remove the structural half wall that currently holds a small formal dining setting.
The floors are cheap laminate and we will want to replace at some point.
The windows look out over a valley and lake - we're exploring the cost currently of having a balcony run the length of that wall with French style doors opening out to that. I doubt we can extend the house or room in anyway - building costs here are horrendous.
At the end of long living room is the kitchen. Sigh again.
Its dark, has an odd layout, and I worry that its pokiness is one of the reasons the house has struggled to be sold historically - my husband loves it though as only he can fit in it so no-one else can interfere with his cooking! The door leads onto a suntrap terrace which in winter holds 5 feet of snow. The stone table and built in benches are effectively the entertaining hub as people gravitate here to chat whilst my husband cooks. The laminate cabinets in my mind are completely at odds with the rest of the pine house and any chalet style? The cost of kitchens and tradesmen here is prohibitive, so ripping it all out for a larger feel layout is not feasible.
I've scoured the Houzz website and found loads of ideas. However I don't have the creativity to envision the end result. I've spoken with Swiss architects and interior designers - they keep referring me back to white walls.....aaargh!
Any help/suggestions/ideas would be massively appreciated.

Comments (27)