SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
omgitzme

Starting flower seeds indoors

Samantha M
6 years ago

Hello!

I've been trolling these boards for about a year now, this is my 3rd year of organic gardening and will be my 1st year of starting seeds indoors! I am in the process of assembling a 5-shelf DIY indoor grow light system based on this blog post: http://petitefarmstead.com/2013/04/diy-grow-light-for-seedlings/

I was wondering if anyone had experience with starting snapdragon seeds indoors. Particularly, I am hoping to end up with about 130 snapdragon plants which will nearly fill a full 4'x10' row of my garden. My snapdragon plants will spend 10 weeks growing indoors before my last frost date (apparently they take 110-120 days to reach maturity, and start best in cool temperatures, so I am giving them a pretty good jump-start).

So here is my question...

Can my snapdragons spend the entire 10 weeks indoors in 2 72"x72" cell trays? Or will they need to be transplanted into larger celled trays midway while inside?

The 72x72 cells are 1.5" wide by 2" deep.

I have been doing a ton of reading about seed starting and intensive flower farming but cannot find any info about this.

And if you happen to know... What about other flowers? I am also planning to start these flowers indoors: Aster, amaranth, and cosmos (maybe not because they grow so easily and fast here). I hope to use 72x72 trays for these too but if they will need to be transferred into larger containers while growing indoors then I will just use larger celled trays to avoid having to transfer them.

Comments (5)