SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_boston_area

Hardwood Cutting Principles - Moisture, Air, Bottom Heat, Light & Mold

Matt
6 years ago

I've read a number of ways people propagate hardwood cuttings and from what I gather its a race to root before mold sets in. I'd like to learn what the cutting needs to root and what mold needs to grow. Does mold need light? I thought mold likes dark damp places - so should a hardwood cutting propagation box have light, air circulation... as long is it's not in amounts that would dry the cutting out? Is that what we are really trying to accomplish? keeping the area where the cutting will root slightly damp (but not wet so it doesnt rot) and warm? And the rest of the cutting above mold free?

So would a completely dark propagation box for maybe 2 weeks be a good idea, with the cutting in a damp medium but all of the area "above ground" fairly dry so as not to encourage mold? Does anyone use "mulch" to keep moisture in the perlite or whatever they are using? Would sealing the top of the cutting like you do scion wood help keep the cutting from dessicating? Is all of this fine to do but really overkill because the cutting should only take 3 weeks to callous and mold wont crop up that fast anyway?

I ask because I did some cuttings using newspaper in plastic baggies on heat and they grew super moldy in 3 weeks (figs, and there must have been something on the newspaper or the cuttings to go that fast I think) and it got me to thinking. Was the warm dark place really a good idea?

What conditions are beneficial for the cutting but deadly for mold? How to create them? A few hours of bright light and a fan for air circulation a week? Enough to kill any mold but not enough to dry the cutting?

Help me understand the principles at work!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services