SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mermanmike

Future living space in attic vs basement

mermanmike
6 years ago

I am starting to plan a new build, and I am wondering about the pros and cons of planning for future living space in the attic vs the basement. My plan is to start out with about a 1400-1600 sq ft one bedroom home, with room in the attic or basement for another couple of bedrooms down the line.

In the past I have loved living on a slab with radiant heat, never worrying about what was going on in the basement in terms of moisture and mold. But I grew up with a basement that provided very cozy family room space. I tend to think an attic bedroom done right is worth more in terms of resale and livability but I'm not sure what others think. One example of a house plan I like (don't worry, I'll use an architect when I'm ready) that exemplifies the attic bedroom concept is this: https://www.houseplans.com/plan/2802-square-feet-4-bedrooms-3-5-bathroom-coastal-home-plans-0-garage-33198

Another thing I like about that plan is that I have a large piano to accommodate, and I could put it on one side of the living room, with casual seating on the other.

If I wasn't wanting the potential living space in the attic, I could use simple trusses, probably saving significant money. But I also want to use some passive house style insulation and air sealing details, and this is much easier to do on a slab than with a basement. And a slab is of course cheaper than a basement in general.

My site is mostly flat, with a slight slope up to the north. It's about 3 acres and wooded, picturesque but no particularly unique view spots. What do you think, livable attic space or basement space?

Comments (10)