SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xoulsinz

single story renovation: floorplan ideas and suggestions

Eric
6 years ago

I'm planning to do a major renovation to my existing house that was built back in 1936. This was originally a 2 bedroom and as the original owner needed more space they just kept adding without rethinking the layout. The end result is I've got close to 2000 sqft but don't even have a decent sized master bedroom.

The design scope is that I'm planning to add about 150-200 sqft in the back and I'd like to have:

- 2 master bedrooms (one with a walk in closet and full bath, the other one can be 3/4 shower only)

- a guest bathroom

- a guest bedroom

- a more functional kitchen with more counter space. An area for breakfast would be nice

First picture is the existing layout and I have also attached the proposed layout from my designer in the 2nd picture.

Please note that the wall highlighted in yellow in the first picture cannot be demolished because it's a major structural wall and doing so would increase my cost significantly. The kitchen would need to be in the red circled area in the third picture to keep the cost down. On the proposed design I don't like a few things but I'm not sure if there's much other options due to my constraints:

- too many doors opening into the kitchen

- master bedroom and guest bathroom door opens into the family room which seems strange

- rear door opens into a bathroom door.

Can anyone share their thoughts on my dilemma? Thank you very much in advance!

Comments (14)