SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

December 2017, Week 4, Christmas and Cold Weather

Better late than never....

Here's the week 4 General Garden Talk and Conversation Thread. I'm a bit behind on getting it started for this week.

I hope everyone had a wonderful time celebrating with dear ones, and hope Santa Claus left seeds and gardening supplies beneath everyone's Christmas trees.

Is it cold enough? It is almost, but not quite, enough to make one wish for one of those abnormally hot autumn days with highs in the 90s. At least we're not nearly as cold here in OK as people in many other parts of the country. Our weather looks to get worse, instead of better, by New Year's Eve or even sooner. (Ha, we are the sooner state, after all....)

So, what did y'all do today and this weekend? What gardening supplies and seeds did you find underneath your tree, or in your stocking from Santa Claus? What else happened?

We celebrated Christmas twice this week---first down in Fort Worth yesterday with my extended family, where the children were just so stinkin' cute, especially our darling grand-nieces in their little maroon velveteen dresses. Oh, and the Nerf gun wars did break out to everyone's amusement. Did the three little boys get in trouble for shooting their Nerf guns indoors? Nope, they shot them outdoors. It was the two big boys (let's just say they are older than 30 years old.....) who commandeered two of the guns and had a Nerf gun battle indoors who got yelled at and told to take the battle outside. I think next year the big boys deserve their own Nerf guns.

Today we had our family celebration at home with our son, his girlfriend and her two daughters. It was so much fun, and after they arrived back at their home late in the day, our son texted me to tell us that his family's favorite Christmas celebration by far was today at our house and they hope we all celebrate together for many more years...so, that's a clue that these two seem to be headed towards Happily Ever After. We couldn't be happier for them. It was hard choosing gifts for two little girls we've only met a few times previously (If only we could read their minds and know what they really, really want) but we nailed it. When the older girl opened her gift and jumped up and down with glee, I knew we'd picked the right thing for her. As a child of divorce, she travels back and forth between two homes and we gave her a darling suitcase on wheels with a matching tote bag and she was thrilled to know she can carry more stuff with her than her previous bag would hold...told us she wanted to jet off to NYC and become a world traveler (!) but that's likely quite a few years away still. She needs to finish school first (she's not quite nine years old yet, so plenty of time down the road for becoming a world traveler). For the younger one, her favorite gift from us was the Baby Alive that drinks and wets its' diaper. She was so thrilled. Our son thought we were making it up that the doll would drink water and then pee.....and then after he found out we were telling him the truth, he spent quite a while trying to help the 3 year old get the diaper on the doll just so because he didn't want the baby to 'leak' all over his pickup truck. I told him that at least I was smart enough to NOT buy the doll that eats cereal and poops.....he didn't know such a thing existed. Another popular gift item was LOLs, which are little dolls or pets that come in a round plastic case in layers, with clues, stickers, and accessories in outer layers, and as you unroll the layers, you start getting more and more clues about what the main character doll will be. Apparently these are fairly new and the girls are enthralled with them---the fun really appears to be in uncovering all the layers and following the clues to guess what doll you're going to get, and there's a bunch of different series of them so the kids can collect them all. That was our Christmas! Oh, and best lasagna ever, and my favorite gift (and Tim's as well) is a lovely framed photo of our two darling girls with Santa Claus. I remember when Chris was that age, though it seems like it was 100 years ago.

I did not get any seeds or gardening supplies, and I don't think I need any, so Santa must have known that as well. All my years of buying too many seeds have caught up with me, and I'm just trying to use up what I have before buying more. After I make my 2018 Grow List, which might happen this week now that the crazy holiday madness is behind us, I'll know if there's anything I'm missing and need to order.

I'm looking around the house at all the holiday decorations and wondering how long it will take to take them down and put them away. You know, when I decorate, I do it in stages, a little here and a little there until I'm satisfied with how everything looks. This year, I think I decorated gradually over about a six week period. As recently as yesterday, I was setting up battery-operated twinkle lights in several places to add a little more sparkle and shine. When you do that, it doesn't seem like so much work because you do it in manageable bits over time as the mood strikes. But, when you take them down, it tends to be all in one or two days and it seems like a whole lot more work. I noticed that my sister didn't decorate quite as much as usual this year and when I said something to her she said ruefully "I finally figured out that that if I put out less decorations, then I have less to put away later". (grin)

That happens with my garden too, you know. When I go out to plant, if I lose control and plant far too much, all that means is that I will spend the rest of the season dealing with too many plants, too much produce, too much food preservation, etc. And, yet, I over-plant every single time. My unofficial garden motto always has been "too much is never enough". That's probably not likely to change, though I intend to plant less edibles and more ornamentals this year. It still, likely, will be too much of everything when all is said and done.

On Christmas Eve we had to run into the store to buy a couple of food items---we timed it right, hitting Wal-mart very early in the morning....and I saw bags of bulbs. See there, right on time, the first garden merchandise is here to start filling up the shelves left bare after Christmas is over. To me, that's the first sign of the Spring gardening season's impending arrival. (Yes, I do know it still is winter, but if I'm in a store looking at plants, seeds or bulbs, at least it feels like winter's end is in sight.)

Often, we have really gorgeous sunsets here in Oklahoma. This morning, I was outdoors before sunrise and we had the most beautiful sunrise as the sun began to come up--the sky turned all sorts of gorgeous shades of pink, purple and orange. It was a wonderful start to a wonderful day.

So, that's all the news from here. What's new with y'all?

Dawn

Comments (85)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor