SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cee275_southeastus_zone7

Newbie attempt to rescue sad discount succulents

Cee 275_southeastus_zone7
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all,

I've been reading about succulent care for a little while and then stopped by a Lowe's last night and, well. They had a pile of extremely sad succulents on sale for $0.25 each. For a reason:

The cashier was super dubious about charging me at all, but I got into outdoor gardening by resuscitating discounted plants, so I figured I might as well start here with indoor succulents as well.

I repotted them in garden store cactus mix - I did water them, which was probably a mistake, but the soil they came in was absolutely bone dry. According to the labels these are graptoveria, graptosedum, and graptopetulum.

There was also this arrangement: (no variety information)

And a couple of sad loose guys that I've just stuck into a pan of cactus soil, sand, and pumice:

(that single stem is a portaluca. I know it's probably not coming back but if it does that would be so interesting).

I have not the faintest clue what I'm doing - it sounds like it might be a good idea eventually to pick the leaves off these graptosedum/graptoveria/graptopetalum and re-start them. I'm wondering if I should wait a while to let the plants get established, or just go for it sooner.

These are in a west-facing window that gets about five hours of sunlight a day, and are also 12-18 inches under 2 cfls - one is 1170 lumens at 6500k and the other is 1200 lumens at 2700k, which I know is a little low.

This might just be a chronicle of "brand new succulent gardener finishes off already-dying plants" but I wanted to post in case any of them eke their way back from the grave! Any feedback is welcome.

Comments (12)