SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

To bake or not to bake?

schoolhouse_gw
6 years ago

That is the question. Every year I make my little mincemeat pies and cut out Christmas cookies.....but it's Dec. 19 and I'm still not motivated. I mean, I want them but I can't get my butt in gear. I bought the jar of mincemeat last week "just in case".

If I don't bake them, it will feel like something is missing. even though I'm the only one living here. I do give some away and I DO enjoy eating them. Anyone else not in baking mode this year?

Comments (41)

• sushipup1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My biggest complaint about the season involves all the "should" pressure that we heap upon ourselves. Be it baking or shopping and general gift giving, and a thousand other societal pressures that we have kidded ourselves into thinking are necessary.

Obviously I say Don't Bake! Try something new this year. Check out a new bakery and try something you have never had before. But don't beat yourself up!

• nicole___
    6 years ago

I'm trying to lose a pound. :0) But I'll still bake a pecan pie....maybe next Sunday.

• Related Discussions

Miele Oven - Surround Bake or Bake?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for your response, however, like the poster last responded in thread you included, I don't believe my questions are really answered. Do thank you though.
    ...See More

Decided to bake Glenda's spinach bake

Q

Comments (5)
    Hope it turns out fine. Spinach squares have another name, as well: Spinach Brownies :o) Honest! Shoulda told Alex they were brownies :o) Well, they are cut in squares like brownies. When PJR was younger, I would make creamed spinach and we called it GREEN STUFF! He loved it! Couple years ago, when I served it again, he said "grandmother, you can call it spinach now!"
    ...See More

Baking cookbooks - Baking With Julia, and the W. S. Bread book

Q

Comments (4)
    Sally, Baking with Julia is one of my favourite cookbooks. I use her recipe for French bread and it is her recipe I use for Croissants and the Pain au Chocolate. I can highly recommmend both recipes. If you are really in the mood for baking you can't go wrong with the croissants. Make half croissants and half Pain au Chocolate. They freeze well too. I know that there are a few more recipes in that cookbook that I have made, but unfortunately, Moe already boxed up all my cookbooks so I'm without any cookbooks until after we get moved. Or until I have at least 80 feet of bookshelves built. LOL! Ann
    ...See More

Am. baking powder vs. German baking powder

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't have any Dr.Oetker baking powder at the moment, although I do have their yeast. However I do have an Austrian brand of baking powder "Perlinger Reinweinstein Backpulver". On the back of the packages it says one sachet of 18 grams of baking powder is sufficient for 500 grams of flour. I see the Dr. Oetker USA website describes their sachet of 20 ml (5 tsp) as suitable also for 500 grams of flour(4 cups). Oh oh I see they also have a boxed Molten Lava Cake mix as well. Our neighbourhood German supermarket is full of Dr. Oetker baking products. I hope I'm not tempted. SharonCb
    ...See More
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Other than a batch of cookies I made to take to a party last weekend, no baking here :-) But then I will be away over Christmas, along with the rest of the family so really no need.

I really love the little mincemeat pies as well and they are normally a usual part of my Christmas baking routine. This year I treated myself to packaged Glenfiddich mini mince pies - only 6 in the package - but they were sensational!! Doling them out slowly to savor the moment as long as possible :-)

ETA: jarred mincemeat keeps a long time :-) If you don't use it now, it will be waiting and just as good when you do.

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I had great intentions, but I have so much to do this week that I don’t think I will have any time for baking.

• janey_alabama
    6 years ago

I always make cheeseballs, chocolate candy & a carrot cake from scratch. But not this year. I did good getting a tree up & getting the Christmas cards done. So you are not alone!

• lucillle
    6 years ago

Schoolhouse,

The goodness of baking lasts all year long. Why not wait until the cookie ingredients are calling out to you from the pantry and you can enjoy?

I for one would not turn down a luscious home baked cookie in January, or in May for that matter. In fact, you could hold a 'late to the party' gathering next summer and ask everyone to bring Christmas cookies. That would be a cherished memory for decades, to all who were invited.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I buy None Such mincemeat in a jar and it will make six mini pies if I stretch it, so I end up buying two jars and using only a cup or so from the second jar. This Fall I threw the rest of the second jar out. I wonder if I needed to? It always seems to still look edible. Around here it's $6.99 a jar, keeps going up every year I think.

ETA: we posted at the same time Lucille. :) Well, I really do like iced cut out Christmas cookies at Christmas time, but I could always use different cutters beyond that. ha Good idea, thanks.

• DawnInCal
    6 years ago

If you don't feel like baking, don't bake. Life is too short to make ourselves do things we don't want to do just because we think we are obligated to do them.

Next time the baking bug strikes, make those little pies whether that's sometime in the next couple of days or not until July. They are always good no matter what time of year you make them. I like Lucille's earlier suggestion about having a late to the party gathering. Maybe you could do a "Christmas in July" get together with friends or neighbors. You could even draw names, set a limit of $10 and exchange gifts.

We did this one year with some relatives who lived out of the country and whom we never saw at Christmas time. It is one of the best Christmas memories I have.

• nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Unless someone is counting on it, bake at your own pleasure. Now, a week from now, a month or two from now. My own gumption has been a bit slow this season, I think because our weather has been unseasonably warm and dry. I need at least a bit of cold and snow to get me in the mood for holiday treats.

• glenda_al
    6 years ago

Me, I'm not! Wish I had someone to bake for, miss it! I do feel like I ought to, but it's just me and I don't need it.

• ldstarr
    6 years ago

If it isn't fun, I don't do it. Since my experience with cancer, I will do what I will enjoy. Life is too short to put artificial pressure on yourself.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

"I need at least a bit of cold and snow to get me in the mood for holiday treats."

Yes, me too nickel, could be part of my baking blahs.

Well......since I was nearly out of flour and sugar anyway, I just got back from shopping in case I feel like pie baking. Oh, and bought a dozen eggs except when I got home I saw that I had already bought a doz. the other day. :( so now I have 2 1/2 doz. eggs. For sure - no cookies, I'll buy some if I want them.

Thanks for the support!

• lily316
    6 years ago

It just seems obligatory but it's crazy. It's too warm here today to bake...almost 60 but I will tomorrow. It's just the two of us and I don't bake cookies any other time of the year and frankly, don't eat many desserts. I used to bake cranberry loaves , at least three until one year I threw some out. So I stopped that. Just like I stopped buying presents for everyone except the little ones.

• jkayd_il5
    6 years ago

I know what you mean. I do that with whatever is pressing at me all the time. However if I go ahead and "make" myself complete a task it makes me feel good. I've been putting off wrapping presents for several days and I know if it was out of the way I would feel so much better. Of course at our age we can do only what we want to and that's ok too.

• ont_gal
    6 years ago

I am not in the spirit either Schoolhouse......even with family coming Boxing Day,I still am "not feeling it".....I have done some shortbread cookies & late last night I did some butterscotch squares......today I was out for a bit & bought some marshmallows to do rice krispie squares.....still not sure if I should even bother.

Grandkids and my son LOVE this stuff-that isnt the issue-its the "step" mother that says they can't have the sweets....the way they all move,there is definitely no fear of them not burning it all off.....

Good luck with your blahs....

• LucyStar1
    6 years ago

I used to make mincemeat foldover cookies, cookies with ground almonds, gingerbread men, etc. After my mother died, my heart wasn't in it anymore. Now I go to the Italian bakery and buy their fancy cookies.

• aok27502
    6 years ago

I need to do a little baking, but I'll wait until later in the week. My roadblock this year is decorating. I haven't. DH doesn't care, and with less than a week to go, it seems a little pointless. I have adorned the kitchen window with the cards that have come in, and there is a box of candy canes on the counter from somewhere. Otherwise, it could be any time of year in my house. Meh, it'll probably stay that way.

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

I spread it out. I need to make dough for pie crust and freeze it so I have it when I need it. I've bought the ingredients, but haven't yet had a day with time and motivation. I could make cookies too. DD may beat me to it which is also ok.

• User
    6 years ago

When my son was small, I missed out on watching him play with his gifts because I was in the kitchen making brunch and a big dinner. One year I decided to make our turkey dinner on New Year's Day instead and do a simple meal on Christmas. There are no other pressures and nothing to do on New Year's anyway, so I enjoyed a day of cooking.

• anoriginal
    6 years ago

don't think i've ever had mince meat pie?? would be up for trying though.

i usually make holiday cookies, but this year, less than optimal use of left arm/hand makes even getting dough out of KA mixer bowl a big challenge. i chocolate dipped everything this year... graham crackers, pretzels, Nilla wafers, etc.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I just do the traditional sugar cookies. But, I have to say I enjoy eating them, and the fact that DH really likes them, (and of course both my DD"s) but, I really do not enjoy rolling out all that dough. It is back breaking.

• Cherryfizz
    6 years ago

I am not in the baking mode either. I usually bake 10--12 varieties of cookies and fruit cake all in the week before Christmas. Last year because of my sister's death and no motivation I bought cookies from a friend who is a professional baker out of town so I had something to bring to my family over the holidays. I didn't bake or order cookies this year but I might have to bake something for Christmas day to bring to my brother's house. Maybe shortbread because it is so easy to make or butter tarts

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

About 20min. ago, my neighbor brought me a big plate of cookies! There are many varieties, look so good. She said she's had bronchitis for three weeks, just getting over it so hadn't baked. Her husband did the baking! Now THERE'S a solution, only I'd have to get married......naw. : )

• gigirambles
    6 years ago

I've done some candy making for a work thing but other than that I haven't been doing any baking. I wrapped up the last of the Christmas shopping today so maybe the baking bug will bite sometime this week; but probably will be limited to dessert for Christmas dinner.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do like to have "something" if somebody drops by. I mean like cookies or a simple dessert.

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

I usually do a shipload of cookies and other baked goods every year. This year I also had the blahs (must be an epidemic :-) ) and couldn't get motivated. Then I just made myself get going and before you knew it, I was enjoying the process and it's pretty well all done now, and I have heaps of cookies to give away. I'm glad I pushed through the blahs. You might be too :-)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

I never bake at any time but I've been thinking about making something with a holiday theme. All of the recipe threads have inspired me (not that I need any desserts).

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pie dough is in the fridge resting. I'll light the old Magic Chef oven in a half hour or so (takes the ole' girl a bit to get up to temp). Then comes the part I guess I really don't anticipate when baking - rolling out the pie dough. I try my best to take it slow, roll from center out, between plastic wrap sometimes, etc., still have ragged edges and will need to patch. The dough is buttery and short, so it's to be expected. I have a marble dough board that really helps.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pies in the oven. Whew, made me a tired! But I feel better now. lol

Out of the oven: Merry Christmas!

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Schoolhouse, what are the decorations on top of your pies? Did you just dye pie crust and shape it?

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, it's dough that I colored with food coloring. I have some cookie cutters in little leaf shapes and one is a holly leaf. The "berries" I just roll into balls. I cut them a little thick this year and boy did they spread a bit. Those are some big holly berries!

Anyone have any good tips on coloring dough? I use my hands to knead after putting drops of color on, and of course end up with a mess.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

Those are beautiful!

schoolhouse_gw thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • nicole___
    6 years ago

Very pretty little pies!

schoolhouse_gw thanked nicole___
  • pkramer60
    6 years ago

Gorgeous!

I rarely bake but was going to make a cheesecake. Wimped out and bought a frozen mascarpone cheesecake at Aldi today. We had it several years ago and it was wonderful with a nice lemony taste to it.

schoolhouse_gw thanked pkramer60
  • colleenoz
    6 years ago

>>Anyone have any good tips on coloring dough? I use my hands to knead
    after putting drops of color on, and of course end up with a mess.<<

Wear disposable gloves. I have a box in the kitchen cupboard for all those messy jobs. Good for cutting up chillies as well.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well now that's the best solution, why didn't I think of that? Thank you!

• nicole___
    6 years ago

I baked yesterday: A pecan pie & a turkey pot pie.

• irma
    6 years ago

Schoolhouse, those look awesome! What a neat idea to decorate them that way.

schoolhouse_gw thanked irma
  • User
    6 years ago

schoolhouse-Looks like the spirit to do some holiday baking has moved you. :) I'm thinking you're feeling pretty good about it too. They look pretty and yummy.

nicole- very nice. Love pecan pie.

schoolhouse_gw thanked User
  • schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Turkey pot pie.....mmmmmm.