SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Finishing up a Christmas craft project

Alisande
6 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if some of you have made stars out of yardsticks, but I'd never heard of this before--and as soon as I happened upon a picture online I wanted to try it. I'd never used a glue gun before either, but I bought one for this project.

I also bought spray paint, but by the time I was able to start work on the stars the weather had turned too cold to use it. So a very nice young Home Depot clerk made up a small quantity of Behr Marquee exterior enamel paint for me in Forest Green. It went on smoothly and had great coverage, but if I ever make more stars I'll spray-paint them in warmer weather. It was tedious painting those edges! I liked the result though.

I'm making two stars--one to give to my daughter and her family, and one for my son and his. After the paint dried on the first one I wound battery-powered copper-wired fairy lights around it. This was an exercise in stress management, as handling 33 feet of skinny wire that wanted nothing more than to coil around itself was wildly frustrating! I don't know how many times I untangled it, only to have it tangle right up again. I'm not looking forward to doing it again with the second one! Still, when the first star was illuminated it all seemed worth it.

Comments (20)