SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

December 2017, Week 3 General Garden Talk/Discussion

Here we are in mid-December, with the holidays sneaking up on us. I hope everyone is having fun preparing for whatever ways that you and yours celebrate the holiday season.

Good news for gardeners----a few (very few) fresh gardening supplies were seen in a couple of big box stores in the DFW metro yesterday. Of course, this probably is only truly good news for me since I shop there and I doubt the rest of you are ready to hope into the car and make that long drive down there, but I want y'all to see it as a sign of progress in the bigger picture because once the first spring gardening items begin appearing in stores, it just snowballs from there. Some sort of merchandise, after all, must replace holiday merchandise and we are lucky in this part of the country that it is gardening supplies (for all us early birds) that start showing up on the store shelves in December. Now that I've seen the first gardening supplies hitting store shelves down south of me, I'll be watching for more.

You know, we gardeners don't care if it is December, if it is cold outside, if the last frost still is months away, or whatever, we can talk gardening and shop gardening anyhow. Last night at the VFD Christmas party, several of us who are gardeners were discussing the performance of our 2017 gardens and looking forward to 2018. Our garden talk probably made the non-gardeners eyes glaze over with boredom.....but we enjoyed the garden talk anyway, especially the part where we talked about tomatoes. One family planted tomatoes in containers for the first time this year and were really pleased with the results---our weather was so erratic that the ones in containers were easier to keep happy this past summer than the ones in the ground. I think they may plant in containers again in 2018, especially if the drought drags on and on into the planting season.

Some of you probably still have potential snow in your forecast for sometime between now and Christmas, but they've removed the snow from my forecast down here (it was only a 20% chance) as the models are backing off some on the snow projections. I'm not saying they won't put a chance of snow back in again---because even one week in advance, the models still can flip flop a lot.

My first Amaryllis to bloom indoors now has shed all its flowers, which is sad. They were so pretty. The second one is at its peak, so likely will be dropping its flowers by the end of the week. The third and fourth ones haven't bloomed yet, and may not bloom. Sometimes when you buy amaryllis bulbs, you get mixed results like that for whatever reason.

The rainfall forecast, via the 7-Day QPF, still looks pretty good, but don't take it as gospel. It often shows great precipitation amounts early on, but then as the day or days of rainfall approach, the amounts fall as the models back off on some of the rainfall amounts too. Still, the QPF offers hope, which is something we dry, parched Okie gardeners need right now. Here's how it looks this morning:

7-Day QPF

As an example of how the QPF forecast amounts can change, this morning's QPF shows about 3/4" of an inch less rain is projected in my area compared to last night's QPF, so I think our burn ban probably is not in danger after all and that the county commissioners are likely to extend it. I sure hope they do.

That's all that is new since last night. What's up with y'all?

Dawn

Comments (100)