SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

November 2017 Week 1 General Garden Talk

I'm going to try harder to remember to start the new week's thread on Sundays since Sunday is the first day of the week. I didn't do this during the main gardening season because I thought it might be too confusing for anyone trying to catch up on the weekend. Now that our gardening lives have slowed down a bit maybe we can get used to having the new thread begin on Sundays.

So, here it is.

I don't have anything new to add to what I posted early on last week's thread. Still hot and dry, hot and dry, hot and dry here. The garden is dead. The trees mostly still think it is summer. The ladybugs are swarming by as thousands, while there's tons of bees, wasps, yellow jackets and the like out and about this afternoon. Fire danger is high today and we've received text messages asking us to check for smoke in our area. I don't know what anyone else is seeing, but none of us here in our area are seeing smoke.

The cold front is partially through the state, but hasn't made it down south to us yet, so some of y'all likely have some cool, mild conditions. We are hanging at 90-91 degrees, which is at least 20 or 25 degrees higher than our usual November highs.

There's rain in the forecast in a couple of days. Here's the 7-day QPF:

7-Day Qualitative Precipitation Forecast

At least it looks like some of the drier parts of the state in SE OK might get some rain.

Here's the Year-To-Date Rainfall, in case you've lost track:

Year To Date Rainfall

Dandelions are sprouting, growing and blooming here now and have been for at least a week. Hey, is that a sign of Spring? Can we go from Sumautumn (Summer-Autumn is what we are having here in my county) to Spring by directly bypassing Winter? I hope the dandelions are helping all the little creatures who are missing all the flowers that froze last week. I think more cool-season plants will germinate as soon as rain falls again.

While the flying insects are abundant, I'm not seeing many grasshoppers now (hooray for the end, finally, of grasshopper season).

It is so warm our baby chicks don't even need a heat lamp, and the air conditioner is running here.

I'm getting ready to watch Lone Jack's KC Chiefs do battle with my Dallas Cowboys. May the best team win.

Dawn

Comments (68)