SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hjohn13

Floor Plan Critique

hjohn13
6 years ago

Hi all! This is my first post, so please bare with me while I introduce myself and my project. My husband and I recently purchased 3.5 acres in a semi-rural Arkansas subdivision. Very few restrictions in regards to what can be built, and so we have decided to build a "pole-barn" house, specifically a Morton building. We like that this style building will require very little maintenance due to having a metal roof & siding, is pre-engineered for local wind/snow loads, and the clear span construction means no interior load-bearing walls. The "shell" can also be constructed quite quickly. Our plans are to have Morton construct the shell, contract out the interior framing & drywall, then finish the interior ourselves. (We will also contract the HVAC and plumbing rough-in. Husband & FIL will do the electrical.) My husband and I both have construction / renovation experience, so we are comfortable with this amount of work. Our family background: We have 4 children ranging in age from 9 months to 9 yrs. (3 girls, 1 boy). I home school the children. My husband works from home a few times a month. Lot description: The lot faces due south, and is at the end of a cul-de-sac. It has a gentle upward slope from the road. Elevation drops at rear property line, which is marked by a nice-sized creek. A seasonal creek runs along the west, then across the southern boundaries of the property. No "views" to take into account. Hopefully this is enough background information. I will attach the floor plan we have come up with, and welcome any feedback. We are attempting to minimize costs by keeping a rectangular footprint (36' W x 84' L with 12' deep covered porches). I do not have elevations, but the "T-shaped" areas are contained under the porch roof (lean-to). Walls will be 10 ft tall, 8:12 roof pitch. 9 ft ceilings throughout the interior, with a small loft (not shown on plans) over the children's rooms. These are preliminary plans / ideas, so dimensions, window placement, kitchen & bath layouts are not set in stone. We want to get the general floor plan nailed down before focusing on those aspects. Thanks for your input!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!