SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartattck

1000 hrs of framing labor by builder on top of actual framer's bid/wrk

hartattck
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello All,

I am getting a lot of explanations from my builder on why his team has 1061 hours of labor in additional to the work the actual framer did. I was shocked by this, but I could be wrong in that this is normal.

Builder took on the furring of exterior walls - 2 levels each 1320 sqft.

Framer did most interior walls on all floors, stairs, change order to raise the second floor, constructed floor for 3rd floor addition, 3rd floor walls, roof, roof deck, parapet walls on deck and balcony. Also a change order on 5 windows. I paid the framer in full for his work, he past inspection, and was not asked back by the builder for any corrections.

Builder is saying the 1061 hours are for framing corrections and getting ready for sub work like HVAC, Electric. In your experience, do the builders usually do this amount of work to help trades or take this long? On average, he has two people doing this work. This could be 10 wks of work. The builder's charges for framing are almost double of what I paid the sub framer on his original bid. Does this number from the builder seem inline for a 3360 sqft house on what his people would be doing to support the framer and subs?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Comments (39)