SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andyman28

Help with strange corner in narrow sitting room.

6 years ago

Hi,

I recently moved and my new sitting room is a much different shape than the one in my old house. I have tried the best to make things work, but some things are difficult to change due to the cost (e.g. replacing square coffee table for something more narrow).

When planning out the furniture years ago, we purposely tried to go over the top. For example when seeking out the picture frame for the rainbow photo I enquired: "Show us your gaudiest picture frame" :) They succeeded!

Off the top of my head some of the things we would like to do are: Add a really thin console or buffet table on the wall where the benches are (under the big pic, possibly lifting the pic if necessary), and maybe add a floor standing lamp.

We are at a loss at what to do in the back right corner (behind the barrel chair) and seeking advice or ideas for this? One other thing, the wall on the left of that little nook is a small door to leverage the storage space under the stairs I don't want to block it permanently as I need regular access to the storage (building in a bar would have been perfect against that back wall otherwise).

I thought maybe a small freestanding bar (unlikely to fit), a big plant? Maybe a table with a sculpture or grand vase on it? Or should we rearrange the furniture differently and back a chair into this corner? We tried putting the bookcase here, but the oval window would have been blocked partially...

Any other ideas or suggestions for the room in general? I am open to anything except replacing the furniture (ok to add), and prefer not to repaint since we just painted it this color and it was a bear to find something that brought together the golds, red and the orange curtains. The paint isn't quite a brown, and isn't quite a green. Maybe breen? Gr-ow-n?

Cheers,

Andy

Comments (36)

• 6 years ago

You could add another chair and table with a lamp if there is room (in that blank space) or you could get the right size (for your space) console table and put a lamp or two on it?

Andyman thanked amykath
  • 6 years ago
    You could put a console table under the window or add a bar cart instead of a full bar.
    Andyman thanked Emily Jowers
  • Related Discussions

strange narrow pantry ideas

Q

Comments (13)
    I actually have a pantry that is approximately that size. (see the linked thread for my layout. The pantry is tucked in between the kitchen and my basement stairs). Pullout shelves would definitely be better, but it's surprisingly functional as it is (with fixed shelving). I can pretty easily access the back of all the shelves except the top one--(and I'm 5'1", so I have issues with top shelves of all kinds). The shelves are not too close together, start around typical counter depth (no shelves down near the floor that you have to crawl into). I'll try to remember to take some pictures of the interior when I get home this evening and post them, if you're interested. If I forget, don't be shy about reminding me. ;-) Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen layout
    ...See More

Help with a long narrow living room

Q

Comments (8)
    We are open to getting a new couch, but I wanted to come up with a layout I like first before committing to a purchase. We did have the TV console along the wall next to the fireplace and floated the couch in the center of the room, but it cut the room in half and when guests would come over they tended to only hang out in the area behind the couch (where we have the couch now). We are trying to figure out a way to open the room up so when we entertain, our guests will use the couch. But due to the trickiness of the room we are having a hard time trying to com up with a layout. I thought about putting the TV on the wall where we have the couch now, get a 3 seat sofa and put it under the kitchen cutout and a chair (or oversized chair) and put it on the wall with the fireplace. Wasn’t sure if it would look funny to have a chair right next to the fireplace....
    ...See More

Need layout help with narrow living room & family room !!

Q

Comments (2)
    Try a chaise sofa and one chair in the TV room so you have room for kids play area. In the living room use a 3-seat sofa and two chairs grouped around a coffee table and use floor lamp flanking the sofa.
    ...See More

Furniture Arrangement - Narrow Living Room w/ Corner Fireplace. Help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Ok, so here’s some ideas you may not have though of. Flip flop the dining room with the living. Depending on how your breakfast bar is done, you child just mount the tv there. Build a divider wall on top of the current bar, but leaving it open. In one photo, the tv can spin so someone could watch the tv while in the kitchen. Do a divider wall again on top of the breakfast bar but only go halfway across allowing for the person in the kitchen to still be able to see out. You could have a small divider in between the two rooms perpendicular to the sliders or you could place a lift tv cabinet there. Lots of options-just depends on what will work as far as electrical/cable access.
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

I wouldn't put anything. You have a beautiful room and the eyes need to rest on various quiet spots.

Andyman thanked Yayagal
  • 6 years ago

Maybe you could put a tall potted plant (on a pedestal or stand, maybe?) or a tall vase in that corner, to sort of camouflage the electrical outlet...?

Andyman thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • 6 years ago

I'm with Yayagal and carolb

Andyman thanked aprilneverends
  • 6 years ago
    If you feel it's missing something I would put a writing desk with art collection above.
    Andyman thanked kim1101
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree, let the eye rest!

One area that looks awkward is the round end table and lamp that are jammed into the corner near the barrel chair. I'd think of that wall as separate from the conversation group and remove the table. The table is set back and too far away to use it to rest a drink or to use the lamp anyway. The chair is placed right for the conversation group, but putting the chair's front legs onto the rug would help move that corner out of the conversation area a little more.

What would look good against that short wall is a small rectangular table or chest and a shorter lamp. The table and lamp to the right of the sofa could do the trick. The round table might work better between the sofa and chair too. I'd also put a vertical painting on that short wall. I really don't care for the repetition of the oval painting on the same side of the room as the oval window.

Andyman thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Less is more. (I actually like less is BETTER myself.)

Andyman thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I would put a demilune console under the oval window. Here's [an over-the-top one[(https://www.houzz.com/products/demilune-console-table-prvw-vr~10509389). It's probably too big, but you could find one that is smaller.

Andyman thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • 6 years ago

I would put a small traditional slant-top desk with a small wood desk chair and a lamp on top with the slant part open.

Andyman thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 6 years ago

Beautiful room; love every piece you have in here. :)

Andyman thanked anomoley
  • 6 years ago

Love it all and the wall color! How did you find that color? It is scrumptious!

Andyman thanked lovemrmewey
  • 6 years ago

I would move your bookcase into that spot and do something different on the bookcase wall. Like a desk as suggested or a console table and lamp. Or move the benches and the art above them to the now empty bookcase spot next to the door, which would open up your walkway and make more room for the coffee table, then find different art for that spot. (It's lovely there, but it looks so perfect above the benches, I'd keep them together).

Or put your bar next to the door where the bookcase is now. It would be much more accessible there.

Andyman thanked Olychick
  • 6 years ago

Wow, great advice, thanks!

@mayflowers: Great catch on the round table jammed in the corner. This was actually a temporary home for the table, we removed it from our kitchen for a party for some extra light in there and I forgot to put it back! Agree, the scale or placement wasn't quite right for that spot. Unfortunately the oval painting is a bit non-negotiable with the wife, as its our dried wedding flowers -- but maybe I can try a different location :)

@Lars: I have an over the top demi-lune like that already which would be perfect there, but alas it has more purposeful home in our front entry...however I also have a smaller demi-lune cabinet that may be really nice as well. I'll try it and post pics this week... A demi lune, is a nice shape as it could add a nice small presence without adding too much, which also helps the general consensus to have less in this space.

@lovemrmewey: It wasn't easy, the old color was a cranberry maroon if that makes sense, with tan faux aged moldings and ceiling. Our biggest concern was that we repurposed the curtains from a different room in the old house which had more of a tan and olive color scheme, and every color we picked accentuated how different the orange felt from the golds. In the end we tried over a dozen sample colors on the wall before we decided upon this one. Surprisingly this is the one we not only liked the least at first blush, but so did the designer at the paint store (she called it swampy green or baby poo. Don't think those comments were meant to inspire!) We also wanted something lighter. If anyone followed my other posts, we have been trending towards darker colors in several of our rooms and I wanted to lighten the mood. In the end, this color just felt the rightest (even though it too is dark) but we still questioned it until the 3rd coat went up. Was tough to cover that red, even with Aura paint!

@Olychick: Thanks, we tried putting the bookcase in that nook, but no matter which way we positioned it (including caticornered) it blocked the oval and looked weird. We also tried it flat on the wall where the round table is to the left of the barrel chair, but it seemed too "in your face"

For everyone else -- thanks! I agree, less is more and a little table or desk may also work well there. I also liked the idea of a small bar cart, that may be a nice simple touch that would not be too overpowering.

BTW, here is a pic of the prior owners layout and furniture -- they did a nice job, I am positive everything was bought with this room in mind! Love the crazy bent coffee table to free up space and echo the couch. And now that I notice, there is one of those fold down desks as well...

Cheers,

Andy

• 6 years ago

Ah, I didn't realize the oval was a window...with that cord hanging I thought it was just some wall hanging xmas decor!

• 6 years ago

@Olychick, its actually both right now! We have a snowflake in the window :)

• PRO
    6 years ago

It's the perfect place for a bar cart if you drink.

Andyman thanked Anglophilia
  • 6 years ago

I found this interesting cart that may slot in nice to that corner, it seems small enough to not overpower anything and just the right bit fancy to fit in. Your thoughts?

http://www.biltmore.com/fyh/detail/beverage-cart

• 6 years ago

Consider an antiqued mirrored wall to add needed sparkle.

• 6 years ago

@Mailcrate -- the mirror idea sounds easily feasible -- any thoughts on which wall would work the best? I kind of like where the art is places, which definitely limits things.

The portiere sounds really cool, but am having a hard time visualizing how that will help vs attract more attention to that little weird spot...did you have something specific in mind? Would I use a similar fabric to the curtains or something different? Would it imply that something more interesting should be behind the curtain in the nook?

Sorry for all the questions, looking for any help I can get :)

• 6 years ago

Well, if you could find velvet or a nice silk in the same color as your wall and have a portier hang just to cover the part of the wall that is angled, like with the left corner of the drapery, just skirting the right corner of that wall, covering the angle above, I think it would look wonderful. It would also screen a bit of the view of the door from certain angles in the room, but not most. I think it would just soften that corner and not bring extra attention at all, esp if you used a fabric the same color as the wall.

I don't think that space is as awkward as the angled wall is and disguising it is a brilliant idea.

• 6 years ago

Olychick it the nail on the head re portiere, i couldn't agree more. I envisioned the mirrored wall in the nook only, would make your problem disappear. Bar cart would be fabulous there as well. You are correct about implication of something interesting behind portiere. You also have right idea of console or sideboard in bench location. Something mirrored or reflective in the bench area is also needed to widen and give you more interesting focal point. The previous owner was on point to widen that wall, having mirror above console. You could leave art but possibly light it to highlight, and add shiny reflection console with console decor. Or switch art to place more important piece on focal wall although the gold is lovely above sofa too.

• 6 years ago

I have come to really love a sitting-height table and 2 chairs in the living area...It's somewhat away from others chatting (if you need that), it's great for a board game or puzzle. It's great for a cup of tea and catch-up. You can sit and pay bills or use the laptop.

I'm wondering if you could move the barrel chair and use your existing round table to see if it would work? Shop in your own home?? You wouldn't need to keep an end table on that side of the couch (avoid table overload)...

I love your over-the-top picture frame...they are, after all, works of art in their own right.

• 6 years ago

Pennydesign has a nice option too for nook, a table and chair. Maybe a small dropleaf breakfast table and animal print side chair. Many options. Priority 1) add depth to main sitting area and add focal interest. 2) Stop eye with portiere and give illusion there is separate room beyond (possibly with antiqued --hazy-- mirrored nook).

• 6 years ago

Finally got the bar cart for the weird corner, and also moved out the table on the left corner, which now looks a little bare (under the oval dried flower arrangement)

Am thinking about potentially a floor lamp or a plant to go on the left?

Maybe move the cart closer to the action as well?

Regardless, using the cart for some cocktails will make everything easier...and it gives the room a bit more of a quiet purpose.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy

• 6 years ago

Well, I enjoy a bar cart that's within reaching distance so that I don't have to get up...

It does look beautiful in there. I want to come over for cocktails.

• 6 years ago

Thanks pennydesign, if you are ever in NJ me and the wife would be happy to host a sampling :)

• 6 years ago

Thanks Andy!! Hope you're not too snowed in today. My own DH doesn't miss that aspect of Jersey at all...neither do I!

Have you considered an easel with some art over in that corner? A little height would work better over there, I think...

• 6 years ago

I love the color you painted the room, it looks wonderful. The cart is very nice, but seems lost back there all by itself. I suppose a chair next to it would look too...what? indulgent? lol!

I immediately thought I'd probably put the cart under the flower pic, a little closer to the main part of the room, but that leaves your little nook empty again. What about a chaise and lamp (maybe a reading sconce) for a cozy reading nook there? I didn't re-read all the posts, perhaps someone else suggested that.

• 6 years ago

Thanks Oly, will try moving the cart to the open corner under the flower pic. It does feel like it may work better there and not be as lost.

Puts me back at square one for the weird corner -- don't think I can fit anything too big back there, but maybe a nice big plant or floor lamp could do the trick. Or maybe for now, kick back and test how the bar cart works for making drinks and then not care as much :)

• 6 years ago

I would try one other arrangement. The rectangle table seems too small next to the sofa so I'd put it (with a smaller lamp) under the dried flowers, then put the round table that was originally under the flowers next to the sofa. I'd place the cart under the oval window and some greenery in the corner, to the right of the cart.

I would also be inclined to turn the two chairs ever so slightly toward the sofa.....but that's my style.....may not be yours. : )

Andyman thanked annztoo
  • 6 years ago

Annztoo, I gave it a shot in between a few margaritas, and do like this setup the best. The bar cart isn't quite front and center, but its not lost in the background either.

I didn't grab the old round table as that is back in the kitchen, but swapped the rectangle and round tables.

The corner will have to house a plant or floor light until new inspiration hits!

Cheers,

Andy

• 6 years ago

I'm glad you tried it; I do think it looks great there! And that wonderful paint color looks so different in this shot - still great, but much more bluish on my monitor. It's a wonderful room. You'll find the perfect thing for your problem spot someday when you least expect it.

This was what I was picturing for a small chaise - with the rolled arm/back toward the window. It would fill in the wall space, leaving the round window clear and hide the baseboard. Wouldn't have to be full length:

• 6 years ago

Oly, I do like the idea of one of those "off kilter" chaises, they are cool and would fit the space nicely. Looks like I have some research ahead of me.

Also, the blueish / tealish tinged shot is a camera white balance issue -- the other pictures are much truer color wise. The room is definitely a swampy/olive-y color :) The paint consultant steered me away from it, said it looked like spinach baby poop! Of course, being the non-conformist, that immediately made me want to try it!

Cheers,

Andy

• 6 years ago
    I enjoy your paint color and furnishings. And while I do prefer white trim, I almost think it is too stark for everything else in the room.
    Andyman thanked mulder2001