SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

Pressure treated wood for fencing/decks

Pyewacket
6 years ago

... is totally unavailable here in N. Nevada - none of the big box stores carries any of it at all any more and haven't for years. Trying to find out WHY has resulted in absolutely no useful information AT ALL - I had a Lowe's Customer Service rep just repeating over and over that they were "discontinued" in Nevada and an utter refusal to give me contact info for someone who could tell me WHY.

If I have to put up cedar pickets instead of PT, it increases the cost of fencing by 50% or more and puts the fence outside my budget. I also see a lot of reports of poor milling, dimensions smaller than advertised even when you take into account the 2x4-is-not-really-2x4 thing, and rotting of supposedly PT lumber, decking, and fencing in as little as a few months on reviews on the Big Box websites.

I never had any problems 20+ years ago but apparently there are big problems now, finding all sorts of materials I have always considered standard lumber. The Home Despot website is the next thing to un-navigable. When I built my house in the 90s (as in with my own 2 hands) I had no trouble getting on their website and finding whatever sort of lumber I was looking for, it was fast and easy to navigate and find whatever I wanted. Now I can't find what I'm looking for half the time even in person in the store. Plus, they carry just a fraction of the variety they used to for all sorts of things, especially tile and flooring choices in-store are much more limited now.

But specifically for the PT fence pickets and decking - I can't find this anywhere in Nevada so far and I've been on the lookout for 3 years now. Are there problems with the supply chain in the rest of the country? Anybody out there also unable to find PT pickets and decking in your locale?

Is there anybody out there who has any idea what's going wrong?

Comments (9)