SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Best no-color sealer for pressure treated deck wood?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Tried posting this a few days ago but it seems to have disappeared: I'll try again, as we are ready to buy the sealer if we know what kind.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We are almost done replacing the surface wood on our 28 year old deck. It is pressure treated wood, the kind that has a greenish tint when new.

Preservation, not color, is the goal. If it turns grey, fine. The house is grey!

I previewed sealers at the store. (We don’t want to order online). I saw some that were oil based, and some that said water based, and some where I didn’t notice. One stated wait 30 days after installation. October is almost here and it will soon be too cool to apply.

First off, is oil based or water based best?

I saw 5 different brands / kinds. If you have any knowledge of these brands specifically, please chime in.

Pittsburgh Ultra Advanced Water proofing Sealant, Clear. The most expensive at $ 33 a gallon. Coverage 250-350 sq ft.

Thompson’s Water Seal, clear, $14.50 / gallon. 200-400 sq ft. I’ve used this before but not recently, to seal some windowsills before painting. I don’t recall how well it performs. I recall it being very thin and watery. But I have nothing to compare it with.

Wolman F & P natural Oil-Based $26 / gallon, 150-200 sq feet

Wolman Raincoat Clear, water-based, $ 23 / gallon, 250 sq feet

Wolman Raincoat Clear, oil-based, $ 23 / gallon, 250 sq feet

Thanks!

Comment