SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpompeii

Engineered Hardwoods: High Quality Vendors?; Differentiating Specs?

Milo Pompeii
6 years ago

Houston; flooded by Harvey; house is now concrete and studs; built early 1950s.

Part of house flooded, so we'll be putting in approximately 2000 sq ft of hardwoods. Contractor says consider engineered. Unique as when everything was demo'ed, there are three foundation heights about an inch or so difference overall. There are cathedral ceilings, but only in part of the 2000 sq ft area.

Having to pour new concrete to standardize foundation height (don't want to debate this decision). Recommendation is for engineered hardwoods due to height issues with subfloor/standard hardwood installation and integrating with kitchen and a few other issues.

Have been researching for about 5 days. Looking for recommendations on quality vendors for the product (companies considered to produce the best engineered flooring) and some guidance on interpreting specifications. Max budget around $30K but $20K would be more palatable.

QUESTIONS/THOUGHTS

1. We both really like the look of Walnut, but it's just going to be way too soft. We have two dogs, and although groomed regularly, they still have nails and like to play indoors. We are not the sort to be "careful" about much of anything; we just like to live life and be comfortable. We had oak real hardwoods, sanded and refinished 10 years ago when we moved in, but we think we need something a bit harder this time.

We don't want anything too red in color. She does not want light flooring (hence the Walnut preference). I've looked at the harder Maple and Mesquite, but they don't "pop". We likely will go with a Semi-Gloss or similar finish. Exotics are okay but difficult to find a vendor. Recommendations on considerations appreciated.

2. Seems that the standard is 1/2 inch thick with 4 mm hardwood veneer. I've seen 6 mm, but I think they are 3/4" total height. I'll have to ask the contractor if that quarter inch causes any issues. Plus, I just can't find very many places carrying a product with a 6 mm veneer. Recommendation on considerations appreciated.

3. We're thinking more narrow hardwoods like the old ones that were installed. They were likely 3.25". Wider seem to be more in vogue. Any objective observations on floor width appreciated.

Comments (2)