SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bryanchao65

90 Year Old Arched Wood Windows Leaking

B C
6 years ago

Houzz Community,

I recently moved into a Tudor style home in the SF Bay Area with beautiful arched windows. The windows are fixed with true divided light and single pane windows. There are 3 of them and they are very big. The problem is that in a recent driving rain storm, I noticed the windows appeared to be leaking between the glass and the dividers from multiple locations.The water would bounce from the dividers onto me. No water was visible on the walls or interior frame.

What I need advice on is for the short and long term. I need to repair this sufficiently until I can find a good contractor to restore or replace the window. Should I caulk around every light and divider joint with Sasho Big Stretch or GE Silicone? I don't want to make it harder for the contractor to diagnose, but I also don't want to have a bigger problem when it rains again.

My options seem to be:

1) Restore the window. There is a bit of dry rot on the sash. It is very hard to find good people that specialize in this work with any availability in my area.

2) Replace only the window and leave the stucco and molding in tact. A local, custom window company quoted me $23K for 3 windows in pine or doug fir. $500 extra per window for epoxy treatment.

3) Break stucco and install a Marvin alum clad wood window. It won't look the same and will be very obvious it is not wood from the outside. Cannot paint the cladding like I can wood.

Those of you that have been in similar situations, what did you do?

Thanks in advance

Comment