SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Strange question re: suspicious person and my dog

mxk3 z5b_MI
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have an invisible fence system set up at my place, and the fence line is maybe about 20 feet from the street in the front. Today she was out in the yard running around, and my husband noticed there was a lady, he said it looked like she was trying to get an object away from my dog (he said she was touching the dog), but the dog must have wrestled it away from her and was running around the yard with it. I thought it was kind of funny and didn't think too much of it, the way DH described it I figured someone was walking their dog with a toy and it ended up tossed in my yard, no big deal. But now I am VERY worried -- when I went out there a few minutes later the lady was gone, and I found a total of THREE dog toys in my yard, around where DH said he saw her. One toy can end up mis-tossed into a yard, but three? No way. I'm thinking maybe she was trying to steal the dog and using the toys to entice her -- all she had to do was figure out how to maneuver the buckle on the collar and she could have taken the dog right through the fence. (the dog has two collars, so it might have taken her longer to figure out which is which and find the buckle). DH didn't do anything like shout out to her "hey" or whatever, he just ignored it and figured it was no big deal.

But who goes into a stranger's yard to play with a dog, armed with dog toys and all. I don't know if it was a neighbor and maybe she was trying to quiet the dog's barking by playing with her? But who does that, that's kind of weird, too.

Am I over-reacting, or does this sound suspicious to you? Do people really steal dogs or is an urban myth? What should I do? Should I call the police? Now I'm afraid to even let her out there, but she loves to be outside and run around, I don't want to take that joy away from her. We never leave her out when we're not home - if we're not home she's either in the house or with us, but we do get busy with things and don't watch her when she's out, we just let her out to play. Maybe I should have the fence company re-locate the fence line so it is much closer to the house? (we have a really big front yard)

Comments (26)