SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magic_arizona

Introducing Strange Dogs To Eachother

magic_arizona
14 years ago

Hi all,

We recently lost our 7 year old Golden to cancer. We still have a 9 year old Aussie with us. This evening we were standing in our front yard and see a lady walking the cutest dog. It looked to me like an Aussie/springer mix. Adorable. I went out and started chatting with her about her dog and the lady that was with her mentioned that the dog needed a new home. Oh really?

The lady with the dog left and the other woman introduced herself as the president of the local animal rescue group and said that these people had two dogs, a golden and the aussie for 7-8 years and just decided to get rid of them. They kept these dogs chained up under the back deck all day, every day. They had already given away the Golden and were looking for a home for the Aussie/Springer mix.

OMG! He is adorable. 7 Years old and just a punkin. Although DH and I swore we would never get another dog, he won us over in about 2 minutes.

DH went and got our Aussie to introduce them. If they were cool with each other, we would have taken him on the spot.

However, that's not what happened. Our Aussie is "very exuberant" and obnoxious when he meets people or other dogs. Just very eager and excited. The other dog was very aggresive and growled and barked and growled some more. Not good. Both of them are Males.

DH and I both think the other dog (who's name is Thomas) was acting out of fear. Maybe, maybe not. He seemed so dang cute and loveable to us we just could not imagine that his aggression was anything but fear.

After all that background I will finally get to the question. This pup needs a home and we would love to have him. Is there a good way to introduce these dogs in a neutral setting where they could meet and get to know each other and like each other? Or is it just a bad idea?

Any tricks or suggestions to make this work?

My Aussie is fixed but not sure about the other dog.

Comments (6)