SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abby_ricket11

Hybrid Hot Water Heater

Abby Ricket
6 years ago

Hello! My husband and I are currently building a house, which is one story with a walkout basement that we are going to leave unfinished in the meantime. The first floor is about 2400 sqft with 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. When we finish the basement (we don't plan to do for several years) the house will be a 5 bedroom 3.5 bath house and about 4000 sqft.

We originally were going to get a tankless propane water heater, but became concerned about the variable propane prices. I started researching the hybrid heat pump models. AO Smith has a 50 and 80 gallon model. Rheem has a 50, 65, and 80 gallon model. I am torn between getting the 50 gallon or 65 gallon ($200 price difference). It is currently just my husband and I. We plan to have children in the future (max 2-3 children).

The 50 gallon puts out 66 gallons in the first hour and the 65 gallon puts out 75 in the first hour and rheem says the recovery is 29 GPH in 90 degrees.

Anyone have experience with the hybrid heat pump water heaters and thoughts on getting 50 vs 65 gallon model? Thank you!!

Comments (8)