SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
share_oh

Mortgage hoops to jump through

share_oh
6 years ago

My husband and I are buying a HUD home, as-is of course. We are using Chase for our mortgage because we bank with them. I think our loan officer is completely incompetent, but that's another story.

After providing them (Chase) with all the usual paperwork - W2's, tax returns, proof of insurance, etc... they now want to know what we're going to do with our current house. Our current house is paid for... is it any of their business?

We're on a timeframe, HUD gives you 45 days to close. With them putzing around on everything, including getting the wrong length of time on our loan and having to start over again, we have no choice but to comply with this wish.

When we first met with the loan officer he said he needed a copy of my divorce papers. I said no way, it's none of the bank's business. He said they would want to see if I had child support or alimony as income. I said my kids are grown and I never got a dime of alimony, so no, I will not give you a copy.

And, btw, this is a $50k loan! When I got divorced I got a mortgage in my name only, based only on my income for $120k. I never had to provide that bank with anything other than the usual paperwork.

The house appraised for $25k over what we paid for it, so I think it's a pretty safe bet for the bank to make this loan, and we can sell our house or keep it as a rental, why would that matter to them?

Comments (41)