SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Mortgage vs Home Equity loan for small amount

Lars
4 years ago

My brother and I are looking at real estate in the Palm Springs area for a second home, which we plan to rent much of the time as AirB&B. We have enough cash to buy some of the listings we have seen but might want to go $20K over, in which case we would need a loan. We have plenty of equity in our house in Los Angeles, as it is 2/3 paid off, and is in a more expensive area than PS.

My brother came up with the idea of getting a home equity loan to make up the difference in price (if needed), but I thought the interest rates might be higher than a mortgage. When he finally retires (about 13 years from now), we will sell our house in L.A. (and whatever we have in PS) and buy a full-time house in Palm Springs, but that is way down the road. I am already fully retired, as of one month ago, and will need to supplement my income by renting whatever new property we buy. I would like to visit there from time to time, and so I do not think I want to have full time renters, and I've been told that AirB&Bs do very well in Palm Springs.

Anyway, if we need to borrow $20-50K, what would be the best way to do it?

Comments (66)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions