SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniel_carter89

Running out of hot water very quickly, but only in winter

6 years ago

Hi

My wife and I moved into our home 4 years ago and every winter since we've lived there, we've had to adjust our shower routines because we only have about 5-10 minutes of hot water. Once the outdoor temperature gets below 40-50 degrees, our water heater suddenly stops being able to meet our very practical demands.

The water line comes in the house from underground, so the temperature of the incoming water should be relatively steady regardless of the temperature outside, but for some reason as soon as it starts getting cold out, we start running out of hot water in minutes. During the summer, we could run the shower for 45 minutes without it getting cold, but not in the winter.

I have already wrapped all of the pipes running from the water heater to our bathroom (5 feet away) with insulation. The water heater is not losing heat from the sides or anything like that. I found an article that says if your heater was made from 1993-1997 then your dip tube may have disintegrated, but our water heater was made in 2007 and was inspected last in 2012. Also, I havent found any plastic fragments that would indicate a broken dip tube, so that doesnt appear the be the issue. It may still be the issue, but before I take it apart I'd like to find out if anybody has experienced anything similar to this.

The heating element and pilot light are all seemingly working fine. There's nothing that i can see that appears to be wrong with the heater. It warms water up to scaldingly hot temperatures, but after 20+/- gallons, it cant keep up.

Before I have a plumber come out and charge me $200 to tell me I need a new water heater, does anybody have any idea what the issue could be? What really stumps me is the fact that it's only an issue when it's cold outside. Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue? If so, what was the cause.

Our water heater is a Bradford White natural gas heater, manufactured in 2007. Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (81)

Sponsored
EasyHeat
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Easy-to-Install, Reliable Heating Products in North America