SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

Did You Make Turkey Soup after Thanksgiving?

sheilajoyce_gw
6 years ago

I did, and I love it. I struggled for years to figure out how my mother had made such tasty soup when I was a child. She died when I was 12, so she wasn't around to ask. Visiting a friend 10 years ago, I noted she had on her bookshelf the same cookbook that was my mother's, The Way to a Man's Heart: The Settlement Cookbook. When I commented, my friend gave it to me, and I was happy to accept it.

Finally I realized that how to make great turkey soup ought to be in that book. It was, and the answer was that the left over gravy, left over drippings, and every bone and scrap goes into the big soup pot. Cover it with water, add a chopped onion and several chopped celery ribs and carrots. Bring almost to a boil, turn it down and cover the pot to barely simmer for 4 hours. Drain. Throw out the bones, etc. Then usually Mom just added noodles, but I like to chop up left over turkey and sometimes I add celery, onion and carrots as well as salt, pepper, and parsley. Very good soup.

By the way, if you have this wonderful cookbook, try the cream of potato soup too.

Comments (19)