SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chancielouise

Need feedback/help with kitchen layout

chancielouise
6 years ago

My husband and I are having difficulty agreeing on the kitchen layout of our new construction home and hope we can get help from others. We love to entertain so a lot of our design choices focus on this fact. Our current kitchen is dysfunctional for two cooks so we're really focused on designing a functional layout in the new house so we enjoy cooking together instead of bumping into each other and fighting for counter space. Unfortunately, we have differing ideas on what "functional" looks like! He wants the sink in the peninsula overlooking the great room so he can socialize while doing dishes. I want that bar empty for when we serve buffet style and like a sink that looks out a window. However, I have been thinking today that it might be best to have the sink located somewhere which allows us to watch the little ones, so maybe I compromise and put it in the island facing the dining room and the great backyard? But then will I often have dirty dishes stacked on my island? We're torn and open to ideas! This is not our forever home, we are building because we have a great opportunity thanks to a gift of land, and we only see ourselves in this home for 7 years while the kiddos are small.

Our design was inspired by these awesome Houzz finds posted below. We like the relationship between the kitchen/dining/great room.

Comments (15)