SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shoregirl_veggie

Need your advice/feedback on kitchen layout

shoregirl_veggie
15 years ago

Hi,

I've been lurking and learning from all of you for many months. I've truly enjoyed watching the progress of your kitchens from design to completion. Now it's my turn.

I'm getting a little overwhelmed by all the decisions to make. Knowing that the decisions are so permanent makes the stress even greater.

My DH and I are expanding our kitchen by knocking out the back wall so that we can have an eat-in kitchen. The architect completed the plans and we've worked with a kitchen designer at a local cabinet/woodworking store (Bradco).

I've tried to enter our latest design into Excel. It's not perfect, but I hope it gives you an idea of where we are.

I need your feedback on the flow and design. It's just the 2 of us, but we do entertain a lot, especially in the summer.

Most of the traffic flow will be from the area by the table. There are actually a few sliders around that area that lead to a deck.

I cook a lot and often DH and I are working in the kitchen together. I use the stove and microwave daily (ovens less often -- always wanted a second oven, though, for holidays and parties).

Not easy to tell from the drawing but there's about 3 ft around the island on all sides -- a little more from left to right.

Also not obvious from the drawing is that we'll have usable, but hard to get at, blind cabinet space in that odd corner near the sink.

Some concerns I have are:

-- Will the island get in the way? I really want it for a landing zone. The designer says it can be 30x18 or maybe 30x24. Is it large enough to be functional? Will I be walking around it to get to the refrigerator?

-- I'm hoping to reuse my current KA refrigerator. It's a right hand refrigerator (hinge on left), with freezer on the bottom. Would a french door or left hand work better?

-- Should I try to include a prep sink? If so, where?

Any suggestions you have are very much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Deb

ps I practiced posting my pic on the test site first. Hope it works ok here.

Comments (7)