SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

New construction: planning for smart lighting

Beth
6 years ago

We are in the final design stages of building a new home and would like to be sure that our electrical approach supports smart lighting.

Some lights will be very straightforward:

• Closet lights that are on when the closet door is open and off when the closet door is closed (A few of these it'd be nice to have them be full bright or dim depending on the time of day)
  • Motion sensitive lights that stay on for X minutes (laundry room, mud room, utility room) (This is to avoid the problem of the "broken off-switch" on the mud room light)

Things I'd like to be able to do (and I'm sure there are more but I don't know they're possible)

• Turn off lights remotely with my phone (the basement lights were always being left on in my previous home and we'd notice it as we pulled out of the garage)
  • Turn on the outside lights from my car (or have them come on when I approach)
  • Have lights come on set to dim in the wee hours of the morning
  • Say goodnight to the house and have it turn off all the lights but our bedroom
  • Be able to control the bedroom ceiling fan without getting out of bed
  • Have a way for lights to "randomly" go on and off when we're traveling

I don't currently have a huge interest in colored bulbs, but who knows if that will change :-).

What is the best way to go about designing this? We were assuming we'd use more DIY technology (SmartThings, Hue, Alexa), but we want to be sure the electrical is set up for what we want to do. Are there people who do whole house smart technology designs who aren't designing for their particular product line?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Comment (1)