Is There A Dessert You Would Like To Make?
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (41)
Related Discussions
What is your favorite dessert that YOU make?
Comments (29)roselvr, do you make the Company Cheesecake from the BH&G cookbook? That's our "old reliable"... back when my dad was teaching he and I would bake twenty or so of them every Christmas for the other teachers and a very few other very lucky people. I much prefer their shortbready crust to the more common crumb crusts. I need a new copy of the OLD big book - the red plaid binder - mine's gone walkabout and they messed around with the recipes in the new version. (Did the same thing to Joy of Cooking. Irritating.) I broke the spine on the paperback in about six places ages back, it's held together with packing tape! Pie for breakfast was a staple at Grammie's when I was a little kid. No half and half though. Slab of apple pie with a hunk of "rat cheese" (very sharp cheddar) on the side - Gramp liked apple best for breakfast, other kinds were for dessert - with "Navy coffee" you could just about stand your spoon up in. (I once had a version where they tried to bake the cheese into the pie. It was vile.) She made terrible crust though. You could hurt someone with the "bone", the bit around the rim. Then she decided to go all "healthy" and the delicious breakfast pie disappeared in favor of a bowl of Wheaties. *mourn* golddust, I do so hate to disagree with you, but I've had enough people insist "oh, I just can't stand that store-bought pie crust", mumbling it around a mouthful of pie... made with that very product. *chuckle* About the third time it happened I decided not to waste precious energy on making piecrust anymore (when you have 4-6 usable hours in a day, you take your shortcuts as you can)... My mom makes kick-@$$ pie crust - perfect texture etc. - but she also smokes heavily so all her baked goods have a strong overtone of "ashtray" to the flavor. We usually give them away to friends who smoke who won't notice it. Oh! I forgot Oatmeal Pie. It's an old Amish/Mennonite recipe, IIRC. It makes a chewy-crisp top sort of like an oatmeal cookie and underneath that is a layer like the gooey part of a pecan pie. As I said above, many of our friends are allergic to nuts, so this is what I bring to a lot of wintertime potlucks as a "replacement" for pecan pie. 25 or so people will wipe out 2 or 3 10" pies and leave other desserts untouched. LOL I used to love making fancy desserts, but they are usually too time consuming for my limited time budget and our friends don't really appreciate them anyway. They'd rather have the simpler, homier stuff....See MoreWhat major home improvement would you like to make
Comments (42)Lot of things! I would take the sunroom off and add about 6 or 7 feet to the entire back of the house, making my bedroom, both bathrooms and the kitchen bigger. I would make a little cozy sitting room/den/sunroom area off the kitchen. Completely redo the kitchen and add a little bigger dining area. I bought tile flooring for the bathrooms that never got put in so that would have to be done, actually the baths need to be redone, they aren't horrible but I can't stand fiberglass tubs. If I had the money I would put in real porcelin. I'd put in Pergo all through the house and get rid of the carpet. I only have it in the kitchen right now. I don't really care about granite counters to I'd just put in some nice looking Corian or laminate in both baths and kitchen. Then I'd put in a brick patio area out back with raised bed gardens for my vegetables. I'd then have a landscaper come in and fix my existing beds, making a Japanese style garden out front, complete with koi pond (that I would hire someone else to take care of-LOL!) with the little bridge over, etc...( : I'd also have a couple dwarf fruit trees put out on the side yard: apple and cherry. Take out the pear tree out front and put in a big Sugar Maple....See MoreHow to make a backyard look "modern dessert cool"?
Comments (7)“-I want to stay away from live grass but would like to use sparse amounts of artificial turf to bring some green in.“ Keep in mind that there other choices than real turf and artificial turf to bring in green as shown by the photos above. I am not against artificial turf, but it will heat up to an uncomfortable temperature in a way that plants won’t. Consider shade and the relative temperatures of different types and colors of surfaces in sun, not just the look. I have never seen plywood used for decking material except indoors. It doesn’t have accommodation for drainage. Any decking outdoors I have seen has been planks with gaps or masonry....See MoreWhat kinds of sides/desserts do you make for summer barbecue?
Comments (24)I'm also Midwestern, although I'm in Michigan, so is there a Northern Midwest? (grin) Here there is usually baked beans and everyone seems to love them, they are always first to go. Potato salad is common, although those foil wrapped potato slices on the grill are often seen instead. Fresh summer fruit is served, but there's always a cake for dessert, fruit is a side dish. Coleslaw, nearly always, although I also tend to like the vinegar/brine based slaw instead of the creamy mayo dressed stuff. Whatever is ready in the garden, whether it's sliced cucumbers, pickled zucchini, fresh tomatoes, corn on the cob which is sometimes also grilledd. There could a salad made with fresh "leaves", cheese, meat, hard boiled eggs, crumbled bacon, etc., but never a veggie tray. Those normally just become chicken food, no one eats the celery stick/baby carrot things when there are so many fresh local things to be enjoyed. Oh, and bread, there is always bread. Sometimes it's those store bought Hawaiian rolls and sometimes I bake them, but there's always at least a loaf of sliced bread to mop up any stray BBQ sauce. No mac and cheese. I don't like white pasta or cheese, so it's a no-go for me, but no one else seems to make it for "cook outs" either. Pasta salad is common, but not mac and cheese for some reason. And, of course, it's the food that The Princess always wants! Annie...See More- 8 years ago
Related Stories

COMMUNITYGood Neighbors Make Her Street Feel More Like Home
A local historian, a burglary stopper and the world’s greatest grandparents have enriched this writer’s life
Full Story
KITCHEN ISLANDSIsland Dining Makes This Kitchen Feel Like Home
This custom design offers cooking and dining space to fit the needs of an active family with 4 kids
Full Story
RUSTIC STYLEThese Rustic Accents Can Really Make Your House Feel Like Home
Add warmth and personality with woven baskets, wood ladders, quilts and more
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESMake Like Cruella de Vil With Dalmatian Prints
No puppies were hurt to achieve this fabulous look — on chairs, bedding, walls and pillows
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEHow to Make Your New House Feel Like Home After a Move
Leave the chaos of relocating behind and start putting down roots with these 10 simple tips
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: What Makes Your House Feel Like Home?
Sometimes just one thing gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling. Let us know what it is for you
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHow to Make Your Home Feel More Like You
Show your real style through a favorite color, everyday accessories, art, collections and more
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEMake Jam! And 7 More Ways to Make the Most of the Coming Weekend
Stay cool, enjoy some backyard games and get ready for the Fourth of July
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb
Take a cue from the classic adage about March with home accessories that call these animals to mind
Full Story
STORAGEMan Space: A Guy Likes a Nice Closet, Too
If clothes make the man, shouldn't a man make a great space for the clothes? Take inspiration from these dream closets for dudes
Full Story
annie1992