SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Framing Connectors Fix Countertop

This granite bar top seam has failed, not only due to the pictured lack of adhesive, but to having the 1/4" support steel-on-the-flat screwed to a top plate that wriggled.

I stuffed shims and adhesive between the bottom of the top plate and the top of the studs that weren't quite long enough, that's why they call it "rough framing", before screwing through the doubled 1xs into the end grain of the wall studs. The top plate still wriggled slightly, so I installed (4) framing connectors which took all the wriggle out. If I wouldn't have had to pull the tile splash, I'd like to have installed these on the opposite side of the wall, but they're so stiff, I doubt it makes much difference. They're having other drywall repairs done; lucky me.

In your new build, you may see a couple spikes nailed through the top plate into the end grain of the wall studs. This is one of the weakest possible connections. Mr. Gravity has no problem pulling your nails up with the help of the 1/4" plate as a lever and several hundred pounds of stone pushing down on it. Toe-nailing is much stronger as it crosses the grain of the wood, but no one ever thinks it necessary. Metal framing plates, installed with manufacturer specified screws, are the end of the discussion.

I had to remake the lower countertop seam too. This home was built in 2003 and the seams had been gone for several years. Proper support is the only deterrent to time and gravity.

Comments (6)