SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cniccamorales

White quartz counters look off-white & how to make kitchen look taller

Nics Morales
6 years ago

We've got a new-build that's almost done. They finally installed our Frost Quarts counter tops on top of our white cabinets. The island has white cabinets as well, but from the "great room" view, you can't see them. There's a wall in front of those cabinets that's painted SW Collonade Gray to match the rest of the house. On the island, because of the light gray wall, the counter tops LOOK white; but next to the white cabinetry along the gray walls, you can see the difference. The counters look off-white and dingy compared to the cabinets. At the design center, we never noticed this! I'm assuming it's because of the lighting in there. But now you can see the contrast. My original plan was to do glossy white subway tile for the backsplash. But now, I'm not so sure. Is there a way to make the counters match the cabinets better? Would white subway tile look weird if we still went with it? Or do you think I should use something else? (i.e., colored glass subway tile?)

And lastly, we opted for smaller cabinets and went with the basic un-staggered layout. As much as I would have liked taller cabs and the staggered look, it was just out of our budget. Since we couldn't have them place the cabinets higher (since we would have gotten charged an extra $400-$500 to make a "custom change"), I want to know if there is a trick to drawing your eye up higher without cluttering the space above with lots of decor? Would painting the wall above the cabinets white (the same color as our trim) help with this??? I thought that maybe keeping the cabinets and walls white would give the appearance of height? But I obviously have NO IDEA what I'm talking about.....so please help! Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

!

Comments (15)