SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homechef59

Will Need To Make A Decision On Replacing Electric Tankless Hot Water

homechef59
6 years ago

We have a detached garage with a large one bedroom, one bath apartment above. It is all electric. The apartment has a sink in the kitchen, a single sink and shower unit in the bathroom, and a washing machine. This is a rental unit located in Georgia. The apartment is on well and septic with a new, very nice whole house water filter system. The hot water heater is an Eemax tankless all electric unit. It is approximately 10 years old and has been lightly used. It really hasn't been used for the last 5 years.

We have a new tenant in the unit. She is complaining about the hot water in the apartment. Specifically, she is complaining about the hot water in the shower. It isn't hot enough. The hot water heater is turned all the way up to 145F. I had it down to 120 and the hot water was lukewarm. I've measured the actual hot water output in the shower and it's maximum temperature is 105F. The kitchen sink is 110F. The hot water in the shower seems to cycle to it's hottest point and then shuts down to become full cold.

I have had a variety of tankless hot water heaters through the years, but they have always been on natural gas or propane, never electric. I did some reading on GW and I have instructed her to turn the water to full hot, then mix in cold as needed. I don't think much cold is needed. I also told her to shut the water off and turn it back on to full hot should the temperature drop on her. That's the best that I can do for a short term solution. I think it's reasonable that my tenant be able to take a shower without freezing or scalding herself.

My plumber is coming out tomorrow. I told him the issue and he said, "Eemax, they are a bunch of crap." So, I've got that going for me. As I see it I have two options, another electric tankless or a traditional tank hot water heater. I'd rather not do the traditional because I may have a space limit. If I wanted to replace the electric tankless with another electric tankless, what brands would be recommended? I'd like to get this right the first time.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH