SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmonet320

Good Idea to Paint Builder Cabinets after Closing in New Build Home?

Tanisha
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am in the middle of building a new construction home and have a kitchen design dilemma. We want white painted cabinets in our kitchen. However to do so, our builder requires you to upgrade to level 1 cabinetry which give you two options: Select MDF white cabinets for $7,250 or Select Wooden Shaker Cabinets for $7,250 and add paint option for an additional $1700 ($8,950 total). On top of that, upgrading to soft close/dove tail is another $1700! My husband and I are looking for cost saving options.

The cabinets that come standard at zero cost are solid maple 42" cabinets with crown molding. However, the builder doesn't offer a paint option on these cabinets and instead only offers wood stain. We are considering sticking with these standard cabinets in a light stain and hiring a contractor to come in and paint them white after closing. saving us the $7,250 level 1 upgrade fee. We would just pay whatever we are quoted to paint by our contractor. Is this a good idea? Is there a risk in devaluing our home by going with painted standards vs upgrading and paying the $9k with the builder?

FYI, we do plan on doing other kitchen modifications post closing (adding back splash, adding cabinet panel trim and molding, adding hardware, updating light fixtures).

Appreciate your feedback!

Comments (30)