SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kery12000

Advice about depth of cellar/basement

kery12000
6 years ago

Hi, I have a 1935 house that has a cellar. One part of the cellar is a vaulted room with red brick walls. From the surface it has red brick stairway. The floor is made of sand and a bit uneven. The vaulted room is about 4 metres long by three metres wide. It has an arched window looking into the stairway. With some cleanup and fixing a few of the chipped bricks in the stairs, I think this could be made into a charming little room for a table with some benches for sharing a few glasses of wine or having a meal with a few friends.

One problem is the ceiling is just a little low. A few centimetres taller (not a lot) would give complete clearance for most people of average height. As I said before, the sand in the floor is uneven and goes above the lowest brick of the foundation walls by 2-4 centimetres.

I think if I dig or scrape the sand carefully to make it even with the bottom of the first row of bricks on the walls, I could get the extra 2 or 3 centimetres needed to give safe head clearance in the vaulted room. After the first few centimeters on the surface of the floor, the sand becomes hard packed. I did a test and thought it was brick, but it is actually sand.

I am a little worried though. I am afraid if I make the floor even with the bottom of the brick wall that it might weaken the brick walls (since they are the lowest brick walls of the house this makes them part of the foundation). I also wouldn't want to accidentally invite water in the sand is too disturbed.

If I lowered the floor to be in line exactly with the bottom part of the bottom rows of bricks by using a pick axe and hoe, and don't go too deep as I scrape the floor, and as I go and reach the discussed depth, before I leave the work daily I stamp it with my feet to pack the sand hard (like it has been for years), am I running any serious risks to the strength of the foundation walls. I would like the sand part of the floor to be exactly in line with the bottom of the brick wall.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards.

Comments (10)