SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sam_hamilton26

Starting seed in basement - questions about best set-up

3 years ago

Hi everyone! I’m so excited to be finally starting a cut flower garden for myself, and have been doing research on starting my annuals from seed (I’m doing zinnias, poppies, phlox, cosmos and some greenery fillers). I’m hoping to get some advice on my best options for setting up seed trays for best results. We have a basement that’s unheated, but is really the only space we have to start all my seed trays Bessie’s the garage (which is even colder). During these cold winter months in my zone (5), the average temp in the basement is about 45 degrees F, which is too cold (from what I’ve read, it should try to get to 65 degrees minimum). If I buy the heat mats, the cost would add up rather quickly because I have about 500 seeds I’m starting indoors (I know, i’m overly ambitious for a first-timer). I thought of maybe buying one of those portable greenhouses on wheels that would be large enough for all my trays and using that for the germination process in the basement for warmth? I’m not sure if it would even get warm enough, though without any light.

Once I have sprouting, do I need to continue with bottom heat as well? Will the overhead lights I plan to install for light be warm enough for them if the temperature continues to be 45-50 degrees? I worry it will still be too cold, especially when the timer turns them off for a few hours. We’re trying to avoid putting a space heater in there if possible, but if That’s the best option, we can plan to do that, too.

Any help, information, resources, or suggestions are welcome! If I need to buy heat mats for all the trays, that’s fine because I know they’re an investment. But I just wanted to see if there's a more economical way to go about it right now (the portable greenhouses that would fit all my trays are about $60-$70, which would be much less than the cost of all the heat mats).

Comments (18)